Unrecorded blessing of child who is now 8 years old

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dougj

Unrecorded blessing of child who is now 8 years old

Post by dougj »

We have a family (not active) who's child was blessed in 2008. Unfortunately, the blessing was not entered and a member record was not created. That child turned 8 years old two weeks ago. The Bishop just visited and found this situation. He called the grandparent who did the blessing and he confirmed that it occurred. A sister-in-law in the ward also confirmed that the blessing took place.

MLS will not let me create a record, via either option (with/without baptism) since the child is now 8 years old. Is there any way to create a record for this child, now?

Is the only way for this child to have a record in the Church is for her to be baptized now that she's over 8 years old even though she was blessed?

Thanks,
dougj
eblood66

Re: Unrecorded blessing of child who is now 8 years old

Post by eblood66 »

Yes, once a child has turned 8 a record can only be created when they are baptized. Whether or not they were blessed does not matter.
dougj

Post by dougj »

Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There's no way of doing that at your end. You can call Local Unit Support on Monday and see if they can create the record based on the missing blessing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
judemetts

Post by judemetts »

I have a member who is 12 years old. There is no record for this young man. The parents know his baptismal date and the date of his ordination to the office of Deacon in the Aaronic priesthood. How do I make the record since there is now none.
judemetts

Post by judemetts »

Are you there?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

judemetts wrote:Are you there?
This is not a live chat. People answer as they have time.

judemetts wrote:I have a member who is 12 years old. There is no record for this young man. The parents know his baptismal date and the date of his ordination to the office of Deacon in the Aaronic priesthood. How do I make the record since there is now none.
I suggest reading Handbook 1: 16.1.10 on what is required before recording this. Once it has been determined to the Bishop's sanctification, you may have to contact CHQ to get it done. Especially if the young was older than 8 when baptized.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

judemetts wrote:I have a member who is 12 years old. There is no record for this young man. The parents know his baptismal date and the date of his ordination to the office of Deacon in the Aaronic priesthood. How do I make the record since there is now none.
If there is no record at all in your ward, the first step I would do is to see if you can request the record. It's possible that the record exists, but was not properly moved into your ward (or was inadvertently moved out). Another place to look for clues is on the children list for the parents (not the household members, but the actual children). Does he appear there with a membership record number?

Return to “Membership Help”