Church Missionary Dept Withdrawals for Missionary Coming Home at Beginning of Month

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
naylorr

Church Missionary Dept Withdrawals for Missionary Coming Home at Beginning of Month

Post by naylorr »

I am a Financial Clerk and the parents of a missionary came to me with a couple of questions regarding payment of their son's mission.

Their son left in September 2014. He will be returning a transfer early in order to be home for the beginning of the school year. His exact release date is August 3rd 2016.

I have noticed that the Missionary Department makes their withdrawal from the missionary's fund around the 5th or 6th of the month. Seeing that he gets released on August 3rd, will the church make another withdrawal on August 5th or 6th?

It makes sense to me that the church makes 24 withdrawals for the 24 months of service but since he is coming home 6 weeks early will they make all 24 withdrawals? The church has withdrawn 22 monthly payments. Next month (July) will be 23, but will August be 24 since he is coming home Aug. 3rd?

Thanks in advance!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Church Missionary Dept Withdrawals for Missionary Coming Home at Beginning of Month

Post by lajackson »

An extra payment is usually swept from the ward when a missionary stays out more than two weeks extra. When a missionary stays out two weeks or more less, the last payment is not swept, usually.

You might want to calculate it based on when the missionary reported to the MTC. I think that is the way the Church does. In any event, since your missionary is returning six weeks early, you will probably not see a 24th payment. If you do, it would be worth a call to Local Unit Support to see if it should be reversed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Church Missionary Dept Withdrawals for Missionary Coming Home at Beginning of Month

Post by russellhltn »

It seems a pretty safe bet that there will be no 24th payment, but if they take out money for returning 2 weeks later, I'm wondering what happens if he returns 6 weeks early - will there be a 23rd payment?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:It seems a pretty safe bet that there will be no 24th payment, but if they take out money for returning 2 weeks later, I'm wondering what happens if he returns 6 weeks early - will there be a 23rd payment?
Probably. We talk in terms of returning 6 weeks early because that is the normal transfer period. But I would reckon that this missionary is not really returning six weeks early, if you calculate time beginning from when he reported to the MTC.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”