Memberlocatorssl@ldschurch.org a valid email?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
dmh781

Memberlocatorssl@ldschurch.org a valid email?

Post by dmh781 »

My wife received a very strange email requesting updated address and contact info for her brother. The email originated from memberlocatorssl@ldschurch.org . Is this a valid official address for the church and if so is this some new method to track down members who have moved?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Memberlocatorssl@ldschurch.org a valid email?

Post by russellhltn »

It's the first I've heard of it, but it seems possible. If the return email is truly going to "@ldschurch.org", then it is going to the church. (It's the same domain as the church employees use.) If something is funny, it would be a "inside job".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
reedms

Post by reedms »

My wife got one for her brother too, I don't know if it's valid but it seems fishy.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I have asked the question and will report back when I receive a response.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

This is a valid address.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I spoke this afternoon with a wonderful sister at Church headquarters who confirms (as does scgallafent) that this is a valid address that the Church is using as part of their effort to locate members whose current address is not known. They have only recently begun using email as an added means to communicate with members who may not be as available by telephone as in times past. At times, information is not readily available. Email allows members to respond after having time to look up information that may assist the Member Locator Department.
falcon771

Post by falcon771 »

dmh781 wrote:My wife received a very strange email requesting updated address and contact info for her brother. The email originated from memberlocatorssl@ldschurch.org . Is this a valid official address for the church and if so is this some new method to track down members who have moved?
Yes, this is an official address for the church.

Yes, this is a new method to track down members who have been sent back to Salt Lake with the 'Address Unkown'. Typically in the past these requests for information were sent to the wards via mail. The Bishop was requested to distribute these to the members who are being asked to supply the information. Now with email addresses part of the contact info being saved as part of the membership records, those service missionaries working in member locators (address unknown) they can just send the request directly to the member.

If you look at the mailed form, there is an option to send the requested information to this (or a similar) email address.
karenrasmussen999

Post by karenrasmussen999 »

I received an email requesting information about my son's current address. I was feeling something wasn't right about it. So finding others posts helped to know this was legitimate.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

It is interesting to me, in this day and age of identity theft, that the church is sending out these e-mails without providing any way to verify the validity of the request and without providing any information to the membership. It took a church employee visiting this forum to identify the e-mail address as valid.

A search of lds.org does not turn up anything closely related to this activity. A search on lds.org for the e-mail address does not turn up any results at all. A Google search of the e-mail address turns up this forum and several very negative reports and accusations of stalking.

In most cases, members who are in the address unknown file are not active and many do not believe they are members (I live in the bible-belt where almost everyone believes if you stop going to church you are no longer a member). I know e-mail is convenient and easy, but wonder if it is only serving to further alienate those who really need a warm hand of fellowship, not a cold e-mail from some unknown computer somewhere...

Just my thoughts.
morgan.mcrory

LDS Member Locators

Post by morgan.mcrory »

I just wanted to follow this up since this thread was helpful for me as well.

I received an email from <ldsmemberlocators@ldschurch.org>, so a little different than the one listed on this thread, and was also concerned about it.

I emailed back requesting a number to contact and was given the number for LDS Church Headquarters - 801-240-1000. I verified that the number was listed on lds.org somewhere and that it was legitimate, and then went ahead and called to relay the information.

I was directed to the Church History and Member Locators office or something like that, and a lady took down the information for me.

Just in case anyone gets a similar email and doesn't want to provide the information digitally.

Have a bless day everyone!

Return to “General Discussions”