18 year old YW moved to Laurels but still on visiting teaching list

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
sasgrw

18 year old YW moved to Laurels but still on visiting teaching list

Post by sasgrw »

I read through the posts regarding 18 year old men and women and when they're moved to Elders Quorum or Relief Society, respectively, but I have a slightly different question.

We have several YW that recently turned 18 so they were automatically moved to RS. They're still in high school so the RSP moved them back to the Laurels. That all worked fine and the RS and Laurel class lists show the change.

However, these YW still show up on the "sisters not assigned" list for visiting teaching. That is, they don't have a visiting teacher. I read through all the RS sections of handbook 2 and it's not clear whether 18 year old YW, still assigned to Laurels, should still have a visiting teacher. The RSP doesn't want them to show up on the "not assigned" list but I don't see a way to do that.

HB2, 9.5.2, Organizing Visiting Teaching
In organizing visiting teaching, members of the Relief Society presidency prayerfully discuss the needs of individuals and families. They give special priority to ensuring that the following sisters are cared for: sisters coming into Relief Society from Young Women,...
msonners

Re: 18 year old YW moved to Laurels but still on visiting teaching list

Post by msonners »

I would like to know the answer to this one as well. I was asked in last Ward Council about what to do with YW who have turned 18 but have not graduated high school yet. We have the same issue with them showing up on the "not assigned" list. Is there a plan to add the option to remove them manually from this list in the near future?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

It is a known issue. As far as I know, we (the developers) have not received a decision yet on how these young women should be handled.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It could be argued that in most cases, a 18-yo YW is only about 6 months away from entering RS. As such, VT might be one way to smooth the transition. Especially if the YW is expected to remain in the ward and not move away for college.

So I can see why such a thing may not be a simple decision by the Priesthood Dept.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
khirschm

Post by khirschm »

I have something of the opposite problem. I have yw who have graduated, not 18, but are in rs now. I went on under their class assignment and put them in RS but they still are not showing up to assign as a vt or to be visited taught.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

See the message two posts above yours. Apparently, the people in charge (probably the Priesthood department) have not yet rendered a decision. I suspect that currently the VT system is using "18" for Relief Society regardless of their membership.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”