Confused

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
sharonp1953

Confused

Post by sharonp1953 »

Hi,

I initally signed up without my membership number. Then I entered my membership number as soon as I obtained it but it tells me this number and my date of birth are already registered and so is my phone number. But when I try to recover it using the phone number I am told it doesn't have that option. I am going in circles. Can you help please?

Sharon
eblood66

Re: Confused

Post by eblood66 »

You probably created an account on one of the other church websites (like Family Search or Mormon.org) and didn't realize that the same account is used for all sites. Use the 'Forgot your username' link and try to recover the other account name using your membership number (MRN) and birth date. It's also a good idea to verify your membership number and make sure your birthdate is recorded correctly on your membership record by contacting your ward clerk.
mel63walkim65

Post by mel63walkim65 »

I just received an email from source saying in was my LDS account and that my password had been changed by myself or the clerk in my ward. Then it had a link to push to change by password. I did not do anything with this. Has there been a compromise in the system.
Please advise.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mel63walkim65 wrote:I just received an email from source saying in was my LDS account and that my password had been changed by myself or the clerk in my ward. Then it had a link to push to change by password. I did not do anything with this. Has there been a compromise in the system.
Please advise.
First of all, your clerk has no ability to change your password -- only you can do that. So it's odd that there would be any mention of the possibility of a clerk initiating a change. In any case, it's always best to ignore links in emails (especially if you have the slightest doubt about the email's authenticity) and simply enter the web address in your browser (in this case, you would enter ldsaccount.lds.org to adjust any LDS Account details, including your password).

However, anyone who knows your LDS Account username can request a password change. That won't actually make any change. The system security is set up so that it will only send such a request to your registered email address. It's then up to you whether you choose to change your password.

If you didn't request the password change, then you are free to simply ignore the email. The fact that you received such an email doesn't mean there's been any compromise in the system or with your account in particular. If the system or your account had been compromised by some hacker, the hacker would simply sign in to your account with the compromised credentials. Thus the fact that you received the email should actually give you confidence that your account has not been compromised.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mel63walkim65 wrote:I just received an email from source saying in was my LDS account and that my password had been changed by myself or the clerk in my ward. Then it had a link to push to change by password.
Taken at face value, that sounds like a phishing (fraudulent) email designed to get you to click on that link. As aebrown says, a clerk can't change your password.

What a clerk can do is change your contact information, including email and personal (cell) phone number. Since that information is tied to your account's recovery options, that might trigger a email. Are you sure the email said the password was changed?

Or is it possible that this email was warning you that you needed to change your password? Some members, such as church employees and seminary teachers need to change their password on a regular basis.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
KristAmyLeeAnderson

Post by KristAmyLeeAnderson »

I had this same thing happen to me today. I received two emails at 6:01AM EST. The first was a "Verify Your Email Address" and the second was a "Change Notification." I did not click on any link within the emails, but I did go directly to lds.org to log into my account and see what the email had been changed to. I was sucessfully able to log in and noticed that my email had not been changed at all. As a safety precaution I went ahead and changed my account password. Changing the password resulted in an new "Change Notification" email that indicated the change. The address of this new email was identical to the ones I received this morning.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Taken at face value, that sounds like a phishing (fraudulent) email designed to get you to click on that link.
There is another possibility suggested by this topic.

Return to “Church Account”