LDS Tools Volunteers?

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
zaneclark

LDS Tools Volunteers?

Post by zaneclark »

I have a question regarding the volunteers who work on the programing for LDS Tools... Is it a 100% volunteer effort, or are there some from the church technology department who also work on it? LDS Tools is a fantastic tool and gets better with each update. I regularly report updates to our ward members and I want to give credit to any who have a part in developing this extremely helpful tool.....
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LDS Tools Volunteers?

Post by russellhltn »

zaneclark wrote:I have a question regarding the volunteers who work on the programing for LDS Tools... Is it a 100% volunteer effort, or are there some from the church technology department who also work on it? LDS Tools is a fantastic tool and gets better with each update. I regularly report updates to our ward members and I want to give credit to any who have a part in developing this extremely helpful tool.....
From what I understand, it's both. The Android and Apple versions have assistance. The Windows version is entirely volunteer. I'd guess that the API that the programs use is probably mostly church employee. (Because of the issues of access.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: LDS Tools Volunteers?

Post by sbradshaw »

Though many of the Church's apps started out as volunteer projects, the Android and iOS versions of LDS Tools are now developed 100% by employees in the ICS department. Volunteers help with beta testing, but not with the development. The same is true of Gospel Library, Mormon Channel, and most of the other apps. LDS Music is the only Android or iOS app where volunteers continue to play a significant role beyond beta testing.

As stated by russellhltn, the Windows apps are volunteer-based, though some (most?) of the volunteers are also Church employees (non-mobile-app-develoment) who develop the Windows apps outside of their work hours. I don't hear much about LDS Tools for Windows; it seems they've been focusing mainly on Gospel Library.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Member Tools”