Future of Classic LDS Maps?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
1968leocomeeatabite

Future of Classic LDS Maps?

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

Thank you for the new "Ward Map". It is always difficult to learn and change to a new way of doing things. With a little bit of courage, I was able to see how to verify or map unverified (in red) and confirm and pin on the map. I did notice that the previous mapping was under classic maps. Will classic maps eventually be gone and when? :?: Actually why do we still have classic maps? :?: What features that we had on classic Maps will we not have on the current "Ward Map"? :?:
rolandc

Re: Future of Classic LDS Maps?

Post by rolandc »

First I hope it stays or they add Stake and mission zones back in.
Second.....See line one
Roland
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:What features that we had on classic Maps will we not have on the current "Ward Map"? :?:
Boundaries and other layers worldwide.
dpgraham727

Post by dpgraham727 »

It appears that we have lost the ability to download the household lat/long coordinates to be able to uploaded into a smart phone. Or at least I have not been able to fiand any download link... Can anyone help me?
jirp

Post by jirp »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:.... What features that we had on classic Maps will we not have on the current "Ward Map"? :?:
Boundaries is already mention but there are a bunch of neat features in that too. Another one that is in classic is the ability to underlay other maps. For example if you are dealing with flooding it might be handy to put the topographic map in. And different maps show different information. For example one of the maps I can load shows the official town boundaries which none of the other maps do. Another map shows school sections so I know they are state ground. Another one of them has a better listing of small reserviors(might want for water in an emergency) So having that about dozen other maps you can use is a resource. Plus there are a number of other handy small features in the classic maps if you go looking for them. For example the ability to change scale from metric to american. Full screen and the ability to turn other menus on the edges of the screen on and off are really handy for doing screen shots to print maps. To minimize the number of pictures that need to be merged to make a large map this is really handy while doing the screen shots part of the operation.
JDavies

Post by JDavies »

Please add Boundary (Ward, Stake, Mission) layers to the new Maps. I was so glad to see the boundary function can still be accessed by clicking Classic Maps, but I really hope that feature doesn't go away. It has been very helpful in scouting locations/boundaries for an upcoming move. Would be burdensome to request the info from Stake Clerks who may not be helpful.
pbeaty

Post by pbeaty »

Providing Topographic information may choke down low bandwidth connections, and there is a lot of work on GIS department to get the data ready on the server. It may be better to collect 100-year flood (or equivalent in non-US countries) and serve that. This would not require people to be trained in reading topo lines to determine which way non-perennial streams flow, and how water backing up from connecting streams affect the upstream flow. (Let the engineers who did the work for the government provide the data.)
jirp

Post by jirp »

pbeaty wrote:Providing Topographic information may choke down low bandwidth connections, and there is a lot of work on GIS department to get the data ready on the server. It may be better to collect 100-year flood (or equivalent in non-US countries) and serve that. This would not require people to be trained in reading topo lines to determine which way non-perennial streams flow, and how water backing up from connecting streams affect the upstream flow. (Let the engineers who did the work for the government provide the data.)
Under classic maps they already provide topo and it loads at least as fast as the arial photo mode that is commonly used. So don't know what the bandwidth problem would be. As for reading topo lines oh well if they can't then they won't be using the map so it won't matter anyway. Most of us hunt or fish or do other things with topo maps so I will guess most members can read a topo map successfully.
cdw3423lds

Post by cdw3423lds »

Anyone hear if we will be able to download the data like we could in the old map?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

cdw3423 wrote:Anyone hear if we will be able to download the data like we could in the old map?
No, this isn't possible with the new maps. The export feature has been removed from most places, by design, to protect membership data.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”