AntiVirus Software for Family History Center

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
KingwoodClerk-p40

AntiVirus Software for Family History Center

Post by KingwoodClerk-p40 »

Does anyone know where I can download antivirus software for my Family History Center. Can I use the same program we use on the Wark Clerk's computers, or would that violate a license agreement?
james_francisco

Post by james_francisco »

There is a policy and guidelines document on Family History Centers at Clerk.lds.org. It has instructions for anti-virus software downloads.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

James_Francisco wrote:There is a policy and guidelines document on Family History Centers at Clerk.lds.org. It has instructions for anti-virus software downloads.

True, but those instructions are out of date. They refer to Command Antivirus from authentium.com, and the Church no longer has a contract with Authentium for anti-virus updates.

THe new anti-virus software is from Symantec, and is installed as part of the Desktop software distributed by the Family History Department. Note that this is a different version than the Desktop 5.5 used for administrative computers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Go to remote.familysearch.org.

You must first install LANDesk. Then you'll noticed on the install screen a link to "Additional Support Files". You'll find Symantec AV in there. Other downloads are available via the LANDesk software.

Just to re-emphasize: Although both FHC and Admin computers use Symantec and LANDesk, they are run by different departments and should NOT be mixed between the two sets of computers.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Do as RussellHtn says about going to the "Family Search Suppport" site to get the latest version of LANDesk Manager installed. You can also get the Symantec product installed by clicking on the "Policy Based Delivery" icon in the LANDesk Manager folder in the Start menu once the latest version of LANDesk Manager is installed. This method will give you the opportunity to install other recommended and authorized FHC software. Be aware that the install of software using the LANDesk Manager requires you to monitor the progress and make inputs as each package is installed. There is a timer associated with the initial LANDesk Manager scan of the computer that requires user input to prevent the software deliveries from terminating.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Be aware that the install of software using the LANDesk Manager requires you to monitor the progress and make inputs as each package is installed.
Before you install LANDesk, you probably should find out the FHC's unit number. Because it will ask you to identify what unit the computer belongs to. This is NOT the same as the ward or stake unit number. It usually starts with a '3' or a '4'.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

We currently have a small center in each of our buildings in our stake. Each center has the Internet and we're in the process of expanding the Internet to the clerk's offices.

The admin computers in the clerk's offices are running the desktop software which includes the SYMantec anti-virus package. The computers in our FHC do not have this desktop software and in fact are not fast enough to support it without going to their knees :)

Could this same procedure be used for an un-official FHC in a stake or meetinghouse so that we could also make use of the Symantec package? We have Win2k Pro on the FHC computers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Techgy wrote:Could this same procedure be used for an un-official FHC in a stake or meetinghouse so that we could also make use of the Symantec package? We have Win2k Pro on the FHC computers.
My own personal reaction is that your are in no-man's land. The machines are not administrative nor are they in an official FHC.

Give the Family History Department a call, but don't be surprised but what the stake will have to come up with something of their own. When you call, you may have to work your way past the service missionaries to someone who really knows. Be sure to ask any missionary for references on the answer. If they can't pull a knowledge document, then the missionary's advice is likely inaccurate.

Someone may suggest a free anti-virus, but in reading the licensing, I see "If you are not a home user or if you use your computer for business purposes, avast! Home Edition is not licensed for such use" and "AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is for private, non-commercial, single computer use only". Those aren't the only Free AV out there, but it's the two I hear most often recommended.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Russell,

I kinda figured that was the situation. I'm aware of the "freebee" situation. Up to now we've used a proxy on one of the computers to control access to the Internet. It's works quite well and aside from that I suppose we've been lucky. With the recent release of the letter permitting the expansion of the Internet into the meetinghouse, we're pursuing things in that direction and I wanted to be able to add some protection to the FH pc's.

If anyone knows of a free package that would be legal to use in a church AND that the firewall (expanded access) will permit, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Thanks
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

We have a unit that has an unofficial family history center. They have called me on occassion to fix problems that arrise. Having a good antivirus is a must. They ended up buying a three license internet security suite for $60. I did a quick check on-line and the 2008 3 license products are available under $50 now - and even lower if you do a little shopping. Licensing restrictions and nussance advertising for some products are the big issue for freeware products.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Family History Centers”