Out of Unit Child record update

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
sdarbyj

Out of Unit Child record update

Post by sdarbyj »

First I am a new clerk. I've searched the topics but am probably not using the right terminology.

A member gave me some updated information for her inactive daughter. She was recently married. and I have her and her husbands new address and marriage date as well as her husbands birthdate.

1. How do I find out where the daughters and husbands records currently are?
I can find them using the out of unit member tool but don't know if I should add them as an out of unit member

3. Is it possible to record their marriage, or should the ward clerk in their new ward do it?
4. Since they are not in my ward how do I get their records forwarded to their new ward?

I have tried emailing the daughters YSA ward clerk, still waiting for a response. I sent him the name and address where she moved?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Out of Unit Child record update

Post by sbradshaw »

It should be entered in by the clerk in the ward where she lives currently. Since she's no longer a YSA, you might contact the non-YSA ward in the area where she lives and ask them to pull the records into their ward and record the marriage.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

An alternative might be to use the "Special Request" feature in MLS to send the information to CHQ.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:An alternative might be to use the "Special Request" feature in MLS to send the information to CHQ.
I have done this before with great success. Provide the parent's name and membership number, and the information for the Child that should be updated/verified. Membership support in SLC can see them and update their information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:Provide the parent's name and membership number, and the information for the Child that should be updated/verified.
In the case of the OP, he can just attache the Special Request to the mother who appears to be a member of the ward. CHQ should be able to find the daughter's record from there (assuming the daughter is recorded as a child on the mother's record).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:
davesudweeks wrote:Provide the parent's name and membership number, and the information for the Child that should be updated/verified.
In the case of the OP, he can just attache the Special Request to the mother who appears to be a member of the ward. CHQ should be able to find the daughter's record from there (assuming the daughter is recorded as a child on the mother's record).
Agreed, but I tend to give all the information I have available. If I give them more information than they need, they can just ignore the rest. If I assume I can guess what they need, I may not provide something I have but is vital to assisting them which can cause them unnecessary work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

While I'd rather error on too much over too little, I'd want to be careful that too much doesn't cause confusion.

nschwebach

Post by nschwebach »

Sounds like this might be a similar question. Our ward has a member that says one of her adult children is not listed on her record with her other four children. I've talked to the stake and searched a lot. I can't seem to find any information. I have the daughter's name and birth date and have searched for her records with no success. Suggestions?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nschwebach wrote:I have the daughter's name and birth date and have searched for her records with no success.
Is she a member? If not, then that's why your not finding it.

You can edit the mother's information to add her daughter's name to her record. But if the daughter is not a member, there's no way to link it.

I'd also suggest there may be a situation where the mother is unaware of the daughter's true status. Tread carefully.

You might want to call Local Unit Support to see if they can shed any light on the situation.

Return to “Membership Help”