Tithing error using bill pay

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
sklarsen37

Tithing error using bill pay

Post by sklarsen37 »

I recently used my banks bill pay to pay my tithing online. I have been using bill pay for years, but this last time I used it I accidentally paid my tithing to the perpetual education fund instead of the tithing account. I sent a message to one of the admins on this website and he told me, "You need to work with your ward clerk to get it corrected." I called my ward clerk who sent me this forwarded email from MLS support, "Thank you so much for your call yesterday concerning Sister B's donation statements. After doing some further research, we were able to see that she makes her donations through Bill Pay. Prior to August, 1, 2013 all online bill pay donations were confidential (not reported under the local unit via MLS) After August 1, 2013 if this is a new bill pay participant the donations now flow down into MLS. For all prior participants the donations will remain confidential. For this reason, the information will not show up in MSL. If you or Sister B have any further questions about this information, please be sure to contact us."

I also contacted my bank and they told me that the receiver needs to make the correction, that there isn't anything they can do about it on their end.

Does that mean there is nothing I can do to get this corrected? The email from MLS support was completely unhelpful (and also very confusing). My ward clerk didn't have any answers about what I should do to get this corrected either. Any ideas? Or should I just forget about it and consider my tithing paid?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Tithing error using bill pay

Post by lajackson »

jumping242000 wrote:Does that mean there is nothing I can do to get this corrected? The email from MLS support was completely unhelpful (and also very confusing). My ward clerk didn't have any answers about what I should do to get this corrected either. Any ideas?
The email from MLS Support was correct, but you are right, it stopped short of providing a solution. Try this.

Email donations@ldschurch.org and give them your name and membership number. Tell them the approximate date you made the contribution, the amount, and that you sent it using bank bill pay to the Perpetual Education Fund instead of the Tithing Fund. Ask them if they will change the category of the contribution from PEF to Tithing.

If you started using bill pay after August 1, 2013, your ward clerk may be able to see the contribution and make the correction, but I suspect he cannot, or he would not have sent the message to MLS Support. If you started using bank bill pay before August 2013, your clerk will not be able to see any of the contributions you make that way.
sklarsen37

Re: Tithing error using bill pay

Post by sklarsen37 »

Thank you so much for you help. I emailed them and have already heard back from them. They have corrected the issue. I guess the person I contacted initially about the issue wasn't aware of the donations@ldschurch.org email. Thanks again for your help!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”