"Reunion" for Temple-Ready submission

Transition from Temple-Ready to the FamilySearch Family Tree and products supporting ordinance reservations and status.
FAMJAM-p40

"Reunion" for Temple-Ready submission

Post by FAMJAM-p40 »

I am a new user of the Reunion software for the Mac. I successfully transferred my GEDCOM from PAF to Reunion, but I don't know how to prepare names for submission to the temple. Can anyone give me some assistance?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

If you are in a temple district using New FamilySearch, you will use that website to clear names for the temple.

If you are in a temple district that has not begun using nFS, you will use TempleReady at the Family History Center to prepare a diskette to take to the temple, just as you have been doing.
FAMJAM-p40

Templ Ready on "Reunion"

Post by FAMJAM-p40 »

Thank you, but what I really need is some detailed explanation of how to even get the names from "Reunion" in the right form. My question has more to do with the actual step-by-step method of doing that rather than what I have to submit to the Temple.:)
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

If Reunion is one of the software packages working to develop an interface with nFS, you might just want to wait patiently for a bit. (Don't know what your other goals/plans are.) My understanding is that once nFS works, some of the commercial software programs with be able to use the nFS data via their programs. When Legacy's version is operating, I anticipate being able to find reasonable possible matches, rather than 6904 that are physical impossibilites.

You can probably get current and potential future info specific to Reunion on temple name submissions at their website. In perusing their "reunion talk" section, I searched on "temple" and on "lds" and came up with lots of hits. Oddly, many responses were to discuss the info offline. That's a different tactic than I observe on the Legacy group, but at least there are some folks that you could contact directly once you register. Since they wrote the program, Leisterpro.com seems to be your best source for a solid answer. (Not intended as an advertisement, just a link to the program at issue for temple submission.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I do not see Reunion or leisterpro on the list of FamilySearch Affiliates. Which means at this point I really doubt if they are working to interface Reunion with nFS. If Reunion would interface, the that would be the best way to go.

The way to upload names to nFS is via a GEDCOM. However, nFS is not a "blank slate". It has started out with the past databases of Ancestral File, Pedigree Resource File and the IGI to name a few. Even if you are the first member of your family, it's likely at some point you'll discover your ancestors ARE already in the system. Either from other members or from name extraction. As such it's recommended that you search for individuals and upload only if they are not found. Uploads should be limited to perhaps a "group sheet" sized chunk at a time. I'm sure if you search nFS help section for "GEDCOM", you'll find more guidance on the matter. Because of the need to search, you may find the best way is to simply have two screens. One with Reunion and one with nFS and cut and paste between them.

Needless to say, that's going to be a laborious procedure if you've got a lot of names. At this point I'm not aware of any Mac program that will interface with nFS. I'm sure the Church would like to see one, it's just none have applied to do so.

Sadly, if you've got a lot of names, your best option might be to switch to windows and use a program that will sync with nFS when they become available, which is expected to be in the next few weeks. Some are already in beta.
garysturn

FamilyInsight for the MAC

Post by garysturn »

RussellHltn wrote:Needless to say, that's going to be a laborious procedure if you've got a lot of names. At this point I'm not aware of any Mac program that will interface with nFS. I'm sure the Church would like to see one, it's just none have applied to do so.

FamilyInsight is planning to offer a MAC version. It will work from a GEDCOM file on a MAC and interface with nFS. So a Reunion file can be saved as a GEDCOM file and then interfaced with nFS through FamilyInsight. None of the programs which interface with nFS will allow you to clear names for the Temple at this time anyway. So clearing names for the Temple will have to be done online at new.FamilySearch.org once it is introduced in the Temple where people reside.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

If names cannot be submitted via an interface, I'm done. nFS is just too much of a mess. Due to "standarization" it has changed records to who knows what, why, and where. Not worth my time untill the program operates as it should. I'm done being a forced Beta tester for that worthless software. The canned responses that latch onto a phrase, but do not READ the question wreak of worthless computerized answers. I'm not interested in any more "missionaries" calling me who have 1) never done genealogy research themselves, 2) are unfamiliar with research standards, 3) are unfamiliar with genealogy software, and 4) know little, if anything, about computers. I'm also tired of these people "helping" by replying to email with phone calls while I am at work. They have NO answers and have only created further duplications. It IS A DISASTER.
FAMJAM-p40

How to get names Temple Ready NOW with "Reunion" software

Post by FAMJAM-p40 »

All the comments I'm getting about nFS is interesting, but it is not my main problem right now. I would like to get a SIMPLE EXPLANATION for a novice-level reader on how to prepare names of deceased ancestors for submission to the temple for basic ordinances and endowments, etc. I have an iMac computer (Intel) and the "Reunion" software. It has the capability of creating GEDCOM files, and I know how to put a GEDCOM file on the CD or DVD. But how do I get the names to a GEDCOM disk, and what do I then do with the GEDCOM file once I have it? I have asked people in my ward and stake and in the stake family history library, but all explanations either relate specifically to non-Mac users or are so arcane and complicated that they make no sense to me. Please, somebody (preferably a Mac user), give me a SIMPLE EXPLANATION (preferably step-by-step). If you live in SALT LAKE, I'd even be happy to get together with you personally for a little tutoring session.
garysturn

Clearing names for the Temple

Post by garysturn »

FAMJAM wrote:All the comments I'm getting about nFS is interesting, but it is not my main problem right now. I would like to get a SIMPLE EXPLANATION for a novice-level reader on how to prepare names of deceased ancestors for submission to the temple for basic ordinances and endowments, etc. I have an iMac computer (Intel) and the "Reunion" software. It has the capability of creating GEDCOM files, and I know how to put a GEDCOM file on the CD or DVD. But how do I get the names to a GEDCOM disk, and what do I then do with the GEDCOM file once I have it? I have asked people in my ward and stake and in the stake family history library, but all explanations either relate specifically to non-Mac users or are so arcane and complicated that they make no sense to me. Please, somebody (preferably a Mac user), give me a SIMPLE EXPLANATION (preferably step-by-step). If you live in SALT LAKE, I'd even be happy to get together with you personally for a little tutoring session.

If you live in the Salt Lake area then newFamilySearch is not yet available in your area. To clear names for the Temple all you need to do is take the GEDCOM file to a Family History Center or to the Family History Library and run the names through Temple Ready. Before creating the GEDCOM file of names for the Temple check the Internet IGIto make sure the Temple Work has not already been completed, then create a GEDCOM file with the names you need to run through Temple Ready. At the Family History Center or Library a Family History Consultant will help you run the names through Temple Ready and prepare a Temple disk submission. I will be at the Draper Family History Centertomorrow evening from 6-9 and would be glad to assist you if you want to come there.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

GarysTurn wrote:To clear names for the Temple all you need to do is take the GEDCOM file to a Family History Center or to the Family History Library and run the names through Temple Ready.
Will the FHC be able to read a GEDCOM file on a disk prepared by a MAC? I think that might be the problem. I am not MAC literate, but there will need to be some way to convert the file to a PC-based disk, no?

Or perhaps he can e-mail or post the GEDCOM file on-line from home, then snag it at the FHC.

Or maybe MAC is smarter than I think. [grin]

Return to “Temple-Ready”