Does MLS allow online payments from one ward to another or to the stake?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lomondview

Does MLS allow online payments from one ward to another or to the stake?

Post by lomondview »

:geek: I fear the answer is no but I hope the answer is: MLS, next iteration, will have this feature.

Cam up for Stake Girls Camp - check must be printed and mailed? Really, bro? :ugeek:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Does MLS allow online payments from one ward to another or to the stake?

Post by russellhltn »

Well one person claims it can be done, but no one knows how.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Using the MLS transfer function, a ward or branch may send funds to the parent stake, and the parent stake may send funds to a ward or branch in the stake. We do it to collect funds for Young Women camp from the units in our stake, and to make special budget allocations to wards and branches in our stake.

The topic russellhltn linked to is about transferring funds to a different stake. I have not seen that done.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:The topic russellhltn linked to is about transferring funds to a different stake.
Oops. I misread the title.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I have transferred funds to the Stake from our YW Camp fund. I have also transferred funds to a recently created Branch that received some of our ward members (from our budget to their budget) as directed by the stake.

It is very easy, but you must have a clerk and a bishopric member available to finish the transaction so don't try this alone. 2 electronic signatures are required, just like doing a deposit. I wrote up a work instruction that I provided to my Stake - it is at home so I will attach it this evening.
lomondview

Post by lomondview »

Thank you, lajackson, Russell, and Dave!
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I have attached a work instruction that I wrote for the stake to share with our units. Feel free to use it if it is valuable to you. This is for transfers in the US - I don't know how it may work in other parts of the world.
Attachments
Transfer funds between units.pdf
(638.86 KiB) Downloaded 739 times
noeljensen

Post by noeljensen »

Question I have regarding transfers, is how does the receiving organization know when (or if) it has received an incoming transfer?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

noeljensen wrote:Question I have regarding transfers, is how does the receiving organization know when (or if) it has received an incoming transfer?
By checking regularly in LCR>Finances>Transfers, or in MLS when in the building.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I have only done transfers when requested by the Bishop or Stake President. I always report back that the transfer has been completed.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”