Do we leave the new satellite receiver on all the time?

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Do we leave the new satellite receiver on all the time?

Post by lajackson »

Our FM Group announced the installation of the new satellite receivers in our meetinghouses and told me that the remote control to turn them on and off is in the cabinet with the equipment. I asked if there was a button on the receiver in case the remote got misplaced, and they said yes, relieving that concern.

Then I said we were instructed to always leave the old receiver on and asked if we should do the same with the new receiver. They said we should only turn it on when we need it and turn it off afterward "so it will last longer".

What are the real instructions? Doesn't Headquarters still send updates between broadcasts?
Biggles

Re: Do we leave the new satellite receiver on all the time?

Post by Biggles »

I don't have the Church supplied installation instructions to hand, but I was instructed to leave them permanently ON, like the old receivers. This is indeed to allow for updates etc..
For the same reason (I installed 10 of them), I was also asked to set up the network (static) addresses.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:For the same reason (I installed 10 of them), I was also asked to set up the network (static) addresses.
You've connected them to you network? I noticed the Eithernet jacks, but none were connected.

From what I can tell, the operating temperature is 32°F to 122°F - which is a far cry from the old receivers. I don't have their specs handy, but I think they topped out at about 90°F.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bspage

Post by bspage »

The new Cisco Receivers should be left on at all times, especially if they are network connected. This will allow FM and CHQ to better monitor and manage the Satellite network.
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

I'm concerned with leaving this equipment on all the time. There is a building in a stake not too far from here that took a direct lightning strike to the dish which fried many things inside the building. it was expressed that leaving equipment like this on and connectednot only wastes power, but leaves it prone more so than normal to electrical damage. Even with the proper surge and lightning protection equipment. As a ham radiooperator, I was always taught to disconnect antennas and power from the receivers and equipment when a storm approaches.

Thoughts?
Ryan Gardner
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Disconnecting the antenna when the receiver is not being used (or when a storm is near) is just not practical for these receivers. (I'm a ham too, BTW.) The FM groups have instructions from on high for installing and configuring these receivers. I've found (by experience) that leaving church equipment exactly as the installers configured it, will not only expedite problem solving if something goes wrong, but will also avoid getting you on the wrong side of your FM group, which is something STS's (and PFR's) need to be mindful of.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Satellite”