Missing email addresses and phone numbers

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
northernscout

Missing email addresses and phone numbers

Post by northernscout »

Here's one which is a real mystery. I attempted to print a membership listing with name, phone, and basic street address for my Victoria BC Canada 2nd Ward. It looked just fine except that most of the Chinese members of our ward had no email addresses or phone numbers. I thought that odd and talked to the ward membership clerk. He brought up a list and also individually. In both cases there were the phone numbers and the email addresses. Sure enough when I tried bringing up all of the information including all details there was the whole bundle of information with nothing missing and everything was in the right place. I talked to the membership clerk again and he said that it wasn't his fault, that it was a problem in Salt Lake. It appears this is the case and so I'm wondering if there is anything in the works to fix that, what is possibly a software glitch? I doubt that I'm the only one in the world who has run into this.

There is something else too. A while back if we wanted to download our ward directory we could have it exported as an Excel file. Now we only seem to be able to get it as a PDF file. I assume that was because Excel was too confusing for many members to have to negotiate. I'm just wondering if there is a way that exporting the directory as an Excel file could be an alternate choice some day? The nice thing about an Excel file is that it can be searched, manipulated, material scrubbed off that is not wanted, grouped, all sorts of things. Very handy. In PDF format what you see is what you get and that's all, it's like choosing Satan's plan over God's plan. O/K maybe that sounds a bit drastic but you know what I'm getting at.

Anyway some things to think about for the brilliant minds back in BYU or wherever brilliant minds reside. :-)
eblood66

Re: Missing email addresses and phone numbers

Post by eblood66 »

northernscout wrote:There is something else too. A while back if we wanted to download our ward directory we could have it exported as an Excel file. Now we only seem to be able to get it as a PDF file. I assume that was because Excel was too confusing for many members to have to negotiate.
No, the exports were removed to comply with the church's privacy policies which are determined by privacy laws in various countries and by decisions made by the general authorities. It is unlikely that exports will be made available again. But you're free to submit feedback making your case for having it available by using the Feedback link at the bottom of any lds.org page. That's the official mechanism to make requests and report bugs. The decision makers do not read these forums.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”