Lost Option to Print Checks

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
helrath

Lost Option to Print Checks

Post by helrath »

I'm having a problem I've never encountered before.

I'm the financial clerk for my ward, and I've entered a couple of expenses under Finance (one a reimbursement and the other a Fast Offering) but I no longer have the option to print any checks. However, I was able to print out the expense report.
Currently the system has the expenses under "reference numbers" 1 and 2 (which is new to me) with the status, "Sent".
I'm assuming that means the information has been sent to HQ. Do we now have to wait for approval before printing checks?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Lost Option to Print Checks

Post by aebrown »

Helrath wrote:I'm having a problem I've never encountered before.

I'm the financial clerk for my ward, and I've entered a couple of expenses under Finance (one a reimbursement and the other a Fast Offering) but I no longer have the option to print any checks. However, I was able to print out the expense report.
Currently the system has the expenses under "reference numbers" 1 and 2 (which is new to me) with the status, "Sent".
I'm assuming that means the information has been sent to HQ. Do we now have to wait for approval before printing checks?
It sounds to me like you (or perhaps the MLS system) accidentally changed the reference number for the next check, and so it started over at #1. You should always check to make sure that the proposed check number actually matches the number of the next available check in your check stock.

I believe that MLS refuses to print a check that corresponds to an invalid reference number (which certainly includes a reference number that has already been used in the system).
helrath

Post by helrath »

@aebrown I would know how to fix that had I gotten that far. But the field in which to put the check number has disappeared entirely, replaced by a new field labeled, "Reference number".
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Helrath wrote:I would know how to fix that had I gotten that far. But the field in which to put the check number has disappeared entirely, replaced by a new field labeled, "Reference number".
That's odd. Unless someone else on the forum has heard of this particular problem, it seems that you'll just have to wait until tomorrow and call the Global Service Center. That's not great, since you probably have checks you needed to print today, but I'm guessing it's your only option.
helrath

Post by helrath »

Update: Their status has gone from "Sent" to "Issued". What?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Are you doing some sort of electronic transfer instead of a check?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Did you go into System and see if the box needs to be checked so that you can write checks? It has come unchecked before during MLS upgrades.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Did you go into System and see if the box needs to be checked so that you can write checks? It has come unchecked before during MLS upgrades.
What happens if it's not checked? (Besides not printing?)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:Did you go into System and see if the box needs to be checked so that you can write checks? It has come unchecked before during MLS upgrades.
What happens if it's not checked? (Besides not printing?)
Nothing of which I am aware. You just cannot print checks.
rylandtausinga

Post by rylandtausinga »

I am newly called clerk and have faced a problem with printing an reimbursement check. After filling out all the information to print out the check continued with printing out the check, however I forgot to put the actual check in the printer, but it printed out on plain white sheet. Do I need to void the check and reissue a new one or is there another way to reprint the check after completion?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”