Members with Multiple Callings report

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
lorinlowe

Members with Multiple Callings report

Post by lorinlowe »

It would be very helpful to have a "Members with Multiple Callings" report. As the name suggests, it would show members that have two or more callings. It could simply show the member name in one column and in the second column show all the callings they hold delimited by commas or pipes (and only display their name in the report if they have two or more callings). This will help us to quickly identify data issues or members that serving in too many callings.

I can create this report by running a Members with Callings report and manipulating it in a spreadsheet, but it takes 10-15 minutes to build. I would like to keep refreshing it as we make updates in lds.org.

btw, I suggested this by submitting feedback to lds.org, but I never heard back.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Members with Multiple Callings report

Post by sbradshaw »

This is ideally something that would be discovered before the person received another calling. On the member's profile page, you can see what callings they currently have, and decide whether they should be released or not. If members having more than one calling is a continuing concern, prevention should be learned.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

He did say is was a "data" problem. I suspect in many cases, it is intended to release the person shortly after their new calling, but the follow-though, especially in recording the release, may be lacking. Since some callings can have multiple members (like Sunday School teacher), the calling of a replacement may not release the prior individual.

The requested reports is just another cross-check for errors.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lorinlowe

Post by lorinlowe »

I believe running a report like this is of similar importance as checking for Vacant Callings, Callings not Set Apart, and Time in Callings. It's a maintenance / house keeping exercise to make sure the ward organization is in order (or not getting out of order). Also, it is a validation that we have not piled up callings on particular individual(s) and that we are spreading callings around to other members. It might be surprising to some (it was to me) to review the results of this report (I created it by dumping the data into a pivot table in Excel). Keep in mind, ward leadership changes every 3-5 years and not everyone has the organization memorized (or if they do, they might forget that Sister So and So is already doing X, Y, and Z) - reports like this help.
jdhakes

Post by jdhakes »

We need a report that shows the members in the ward that have more than one calling, including stake callings. This would be a big help and much appreciated if there was an easy way to access this information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdhakes wrote:We need a report that shows the members in the ward that have more than one calling, including stake callings. This would be a big help and much appreciated if there was an easy way to access this information.
This is easily done with the Members with Callings report. Here's what I did:
  1. In LCR, go to Organizations > Members with Callings
  2. Select everything from the header row to the end of the last entry in the report, then copy to the clipboard.
  3. Open a spreadsheet (I used Excel)
  4. Paste the values (not formatting) into a fresh worksheet
  5. Select the first column (Name)
  6. Apply conditional formatting, selecting Highlight Cells Rules > Duplicate Values
  7. All the duplicate values are now highlighted, which means people who have more than one calling.
If you used a spreadsheet other than Excel, then the exact steps may be a bit different, but the principles still hold. And there are other ways to highlight or filter those with multiple rows, but that was an easy way that illustrates how it can be done.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”