Help Center maintained by 3rd Party?

Discussions around the Help Center website located at clerksupport.lds.org. (Formerly called Record Keeping and Technology Support or RKATS)
1968leocomeeatabite

Help Center maintained by 3rd Party?

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

Just noticed this. I am a little confused and surprised. I was excited to share with our ward on our approved Facebook private group the release notes for LDS Tools soon to be released. https://www.lds.org/help/support/lds-to ... ng#android After I posted I read down at the bottom "NOTICE: You are leaving LDS.org and opening a website maintained by third party that is unaffiliated with the church. by linking to this content The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not endorse the content of this site." What does this mean? Is this happening more than I know?

So apparently the help section is maintained by a third party? I hope that this means that I can still have faith in the help section to get good clear and precise help. Help for clerks and any-other calling RIGHT?
eblood66

Re: Help Center maintained by 3rd Party?

Post by eblood66 »

I can't find that text anywhere on the page you linked to.

The help center is definitely part of lds.org and is maintained by the church.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:So apparently the help section is maintained by a third party? I hope that this means that I can still have faith in the help section to get good clear and precise help. Help for clerks and any-other calling RIGHT?
The Help Center is maintained by the Church at the official Church website. I wonder if the message you saw was generated when you left the Church site and went to Facebook.
1968leocomeeatabite

lajackson wrote:
1968leocomeeatabite wrote:So apparently the help section is maintained by a third party? I hope that this means that I can still have faith in the help section to get good clear and precise help. Help for clerks and any-other calling RIGHT?
The Help Center is maintained by the Church at the official Church website. I wonder if the message you saw was generated when you left the Church site and went to Facebook.
Thank you for your responses, I thought this was way off.
Attached is a screen shot of what I see on the post. What have I done wrong? Or is it just that the church does not want the help section represented in this way, so it comes up when doing so? I shared on our Closed Group on Facebook.
Attachments
Help_on_LDSTools.jpg
This is what I see on the post.
(37.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If I understand this right, you're seeing the message on Facebook after posting the link?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
1968leocomeeatabite

russellhltn wrote:If I understand this right, you're seeing the message on Facebook after posting the link?
Yes correct.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That may be a quirk about "posting" it. From the lds.org point of view, FB is a third party site.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Facebook tries to pull a description or snippet from the page to put with the shared link. The problem is that the page doesn't have a clear description defined in metadata, so it pulled some other random text from the source code of the page – the third-party notice happens to be the first block of text after the header in the source code (though it's hidden and doesn't show up on the actual page).

Sometimes you can fix what shows when you share a link by running it through the Facebook sharing debugger (https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/), but it didn't work for this page. The LDS.org developers need to define a clear description in metadata so it doesn't pull random text.

Also, you probably want to share the url without the "#android" at the end, otherwise it will jump to the Android section of the page instead of the table of contents at the top. LDS Tools is being updated for both iOS and Android.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Help Center Website (Formerly RKATS)”