LDS Music (Android) crashing at startup

tysonjg

LDS Music (Android) crashing at startup

Post by tysonjg »

I believe this may be connected to my recent upgrade to Android 6.0.1.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LDS Music (Android) crashing at startup

Post by russellhltn »

You may want to try un-install and re-install. Sometimes in-place upgrades don't work well. The app may do things differently if it senses it's being installed on 6.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tysonjg

Post by tysonjg »

russellhltn wrote:You may want to try un-install and re-install. Sometimes in-place upgrades don't work well. The app may do things differently if it senses it's being installed on 6.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just uninstalled and reinstalled and found the same crashing behavior persists. Now that I'm at home, I dug into it a little further: it looks like getNewestCatalogVersion() is throwing a null pointer exception (ldsmusic.api.sync) I've attached the stack trace for the dev team.

Thanks
Screenshot_20160515-151614.png
High level detail
(159.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot_20160515-151707.png
Stack trace for null ptr crash
(345.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

I'm also getting this error, and have not upgraded the OS (Android 5.0). LDS Music version is 1.1.0. Have power-cycled the phone, but it still does it. My tablet (Android 4.4.2) also does it. I think the latest update has something broken. I did send a crash report.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

lmcguire wrote:I did send a crash report.
As did I this morning. Android 5.0.1. LDS Music 1.1.0. I don't remember seeing a new version of LDS Music come doen recently. I must have been sleeping.

I actually had to use a piano to pitch a hymn at Church today.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

lajackson wrote:I actually had to use a piano to pitch a hymn at Church today.
A piano?! :shock:
:lol:
gshort

Post by gshort »

I had the same behavior, that I just noticed yesterday on my Moto X. I tried to fix by reinstalling the app, and cycling my phone. Problem persists.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

After experiencing the same thing, uninstalling and reinstalling, I looked at the Reviews for this app in Google Play and it appears to be a widespread issue. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s.ldsmusic
tysonjg

Post by tysonjg »

Does anyone know who maintains the LDS Music App? I always assumed the church employed professional developers for their apps, but perhaps they utilize more of a volunteer model? If it is volunteer driven, how do I get access to the source and commit rights to fix the bug? Usually null pointer exceptions are easy to track down and fix (especially when they're readily reproducible). Even if the fix isn't trivial, someone should roll back the breaking changes and republish a version that works until a proper fix is in place and tested.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

tysonjg wrote:I always assumed the church employed professional developers for their apps, but perhaps they utilize more of a volunteer model?
Most of the app projects are a mix of some employee resources and some volunteer. You can join the LDS Music Android project by visiting the project page: https://tech.lds.org/projects?controlle ... jectid=116

Return to “Mobile Applications”