Member Donation Statements for Tax

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
henk.ensing

Member Donation Statements for Tax

Post by henk.ensing »

Our unit is newly formed this year. Our country's financial year has ended one month ago and our members need their Member Donation Statements for completing their annual, government required, Tax returns.
However there are no statements to be printed.
I think they will need two statements. One from their former unit for the first part of the financial year, and one from our newly formed unit for the first three months of 2016 when our new unit was operating.
There is no report under LCR > Finance > Reports
How can I create the members' statement of donations?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Member Donation Statements for Tax

Post by russellhltn »

hank.ensing wrote:Our country's financial year has ended one month ago
The bulk of the forum's experience is for the US. I don't know how the process works in other countries.

In the US, at a certain point, (maybe 15-30 days after the close of the year) a PDF will appear in MLS for the members that were in the prior ward. But again, I'm not sure how that works in your country. The safest statement is that the prior ward will have to generate a statement for all the donations done in that ward. You may want to see if you can get those copies to distribute. You'll have to generate the report for all the donations done in your ward.

You might have better luck if you contact the stake (they're responsible for ward training). Failing that, I'd suggest contacting the area office.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

hank.ensing wrote:I think they will need two statements. One from their former unit for the first part of the financial year, and one from our newly formed unit for the first three months of 2016 when our new unit was operating.
There is no report under LCR > Finance > Reports
How can I create the members' statement of donations?
You will need to do it in MLS. Use custom date settings to get the period you need. And yes, there will need to be two statements, one from the former unit, and one from the new unit.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Use custom date settings to get the period you need.
I'd hope MLS would have the proper tax statements/time frame for his country. While we can use custom dates to provide a listing of what's been donated, IIRC, the tax statements are hard-wired for the date and has the legalize that makes it a tax statement.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Also, I would advise against doing any tax statements until enough time has elapsed for bounced checks to be returned.

bastahmer

Post by bastahmer »

russellhltn wrote: While we can use custom dates to provide a listing of what's been donated, IIRC, the tax statements are hard-wired for the date and has the legalize that makes it a tax statement.
The hard-wired legal statement is specifically for the U.S. IRS. The ward would have to create statements with any required legalese for their country. I think the stake is going to have to take the lead on this and get hold of Church HQ to determine how best to do this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

When MLS is first installs, it downloads a config from from CHQ. As such, it works differently for different areas. How differently and how it behaves, I have no idea. But I'd be rather surprised if CHQ didn't make for some kind of allowance for MLS to create needed tax forms specific to the country in question. Complying with tax law is pretty important. When in doubt, check with the area office (after checking with the stake). They should know how MLS is supposed to operate for them.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”