Am I allowed to scrap the scriptures for use in a program?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
kingc12

Am I allowed to scrap the scriptures for use in a program?

Post by kingc12 »

Greetings!

What are the rules for web scraping of scriptures from lds.org? Looking at the source, it appears to be very high quality, and that the person creating had machine readable in mind.
  • Can I scrape it for personal use? (Analyze footnote structure with markov chains (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markov_chain) and maybe other techniques (I'm curious which scriptures the footnotes link to each other, and what insight that can give me.))
  • Can I provide an application to allow others to scrape it easier (but not host the scriptures myself)? (A scripture downloading software library that parses it into even more machine readable format (for example, a software writer could request {book:"1 Nephi", chapter : "3", verse "7"}, and get back a verse.)
  • Can I scrape it for nonpersonal use (like providing a web app for exploration of the footnote structure)?
  • If the answer to any of the above is no, can I ask someone for additional permissions?
eblood66

Re: Am I allowed to scrap the scriptures for use in a program?

Post by eblood66 »

Information on usage rights is found in the Rights and Use Information link at the bottom of most lds.org pages. That page also has contact information for the Intellectual Property Office which is responsible for questions and requests regarding church copyrighted material.
andrewwredd

Post by andrewwredd »

@kingc12 any update in this venture?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Raw index or cross-reference information, being distinct from the more "creative" formatting of that data, is generally not copyrightable, so there shouldn't be legal issues from analyzing the data, following links, building maps, etc. However, as a good citizen you will want to avoid slamming the Church servers with hundreds of HTTP requests in a short time period.

The actual content, on the other hand, is under copyright (especially the study helps and formatted footnotes), so you would need to get permission (see the link above) before posting it online or distributing it.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”