Attendance Tracking

This forum will hold posts about new technologies and how they could be or are being used to benefit the Church.
rspoon

Attendance Tracking

Post by rspoon »

Is there anything in the works to let priesthood secretaries enter and track attendance into LCR for their groups?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Attendance Tracking

Post by lajackson »

Personally, I am not aware of anything. But you never know. I think there are probably higher priorities for the developers, though.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rspoon wrote:Is there anything in the works to let priesthood secretaries enter and track attendance into LCR for their groups?
Are you talking about the actual attendance, or just the quarterly numbers? The latter, I could see happening. The former, I have my doubts.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rspoon

Post by rspoon »

Right now the ward clerk has to enter the attendance numbers for each group. What would be the problem with the secretaries entering their own information?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

To re-iterate, entering the numbers used in the quarterly report, I could see that happening. But computerizing the actual attendance sheet and tracking individual members, I have doubts.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
devinbost

Post by devinbost »

There are some pretty good facial recognition libraries available now for .NET developers. I bet someone could create an app that could take a photo of the members, use facial recognition to match faces to member names, and then delete the photo (as per privacy policy requirements). I'd be willing to assist with the project.
Here are a couple of libraries that could help with this:
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/239 ... on-in-real
http://www.codeproject.com/Tips/561129/ ... ode-VB-NET
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Interesting, but honestly, I doubt if the church is interested in tracking and retaining attendance of individuals beyond what is required for the quarterly report. I imagine the legal department is quite content that all attendance is on paper which may or may not exist.

Now, what I'd like to see is something that could take known photos and identify people in other photos for family history. Inherited, unlabeled photos is a big problem.

davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:Now, what I'd like to see is something that could take known photos and identify people in other photos for family history. Inherited, unlabeled photos is a big problem.
Not to fork the thread, but Picasa does that pretty well. You have to teach it on each face (name them manually at first), but after a while it is about 80-90% accurate for me in matching new pics. It puts the faces in individual virtual folders and marks the ones it identified so you can review them and correct if needed. Your original photos are not altered.

However, I just learned that Google is retiring Picasa and moving to a service-based application - if you don't already have Picasa, I could not find a download link in a quick search. :(
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Family history is probably a more difficult application for facial recognition – since family members tend to share facial characteristics, I could imagine it getting confused. I wonder how Picasa would do with that?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Emerging Technologies”