Ward Clerk Rights

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
edwinslade

Ward Clerk Rights

Post by edwinslade »

I am a Finance clerk that is ask to print rolls and up member's records from time to time. With the church moving more to on line those privileges are getting removed. I was wondering if there is a way to get them back. For example I am the only clerk here and need to print role the online tells access denied.

Thanks Ed
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Ward Clerk Rights

Post by russellhltn »

Ask about having "assistant clerk" added to your calling. It should probably be approved by the stake as well, but it should solve your problem. It's either that or start educating people they need to print their own rolls or better coordinate their requests.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
edwinslade

Post by edwinslade »

Thanks I will try that
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

russellhltn wrote:It's either that or start educating people they need to print their own rolls or better coordinate their requests.
I am always sorely tempted to tell folks they can do it for themselves. For example, the Activity Days Girls leader asked me for permission slips for a field trip, which are available to anyone on lds.org. And the Primary secretary asked me to print attendance rolls for the current quarter, even though she could print them herself.
I would prefer to "teach a man to fish" so they know how to do it for themselves in the future. However, they usually just stare at me and ask me why I am being so uncooperative and rude.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I am always sorely tempted to tell folks they can do it for themselves.
I think the root problem is they want it printed on the church's printer. It's easier to ask you to print it than to ask to use the computer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
edwinslade

Post by edwinslade »

It's not that big of a deal to print them off. I'm not sure why the church is not letting all clerks print that stuff.
edwinslade

Post by edwinslade »

A month or so ago I was thier clerk there. Member of the bishop brick ask to to request some records and it told me access denied. So he logged on and told him the same thing. I was surprised that he couldn't do it. (2 counselor)
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

edwinslade wrote:A month or so ago I was thier clerk there. Member of the bishop brick ask to to request some records and it told me access denied. So he logged on and told him the same thing. I was surprised that he couldn't do it. (2 counselor)
Yes, bishopric counselors do not have access rights to move records in or out.

I believe this is an extension of Handbook 1, section 13.6, which says that under no circumstances may membership records be given to anyone other than the bishop or a clerk (though others may be given access to the individual ordinance summary). It's not exactly the same thing, but it points out that bishopric members should not expect to be able to access everything that the bishop or a clerk can access.

The more specific policies that are applied to Leader and Clerk Resources but not publicly written are determined by a high-level committee specifically assigned to make policy decisions based on stewardships, Church policies, and legal concerns that are already in place.

There's a reason there are separate callings "Ward Assistant Clerk—Membership," "Ward Assistant Clerk—Finance," and "Ward Assistant Clerk." If ward/stake leaders only want a clerk to access membership or only finance, they use one of the first two callings. If they want a clerk to be able to help with any of those things, they should use the general calling "Ward Assistant Clerk."
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
edwinslade

Post by edwinslade »

Thanks Samuel that makes sense

Return to “Membership Help”