How do you use social networking site?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
McDanielCA

How do you use social networking site?

Post by McDanielCA »

A social networking poll has been posted on the main page of LDS Tech. The power of social networking is tremendous and they can be used for so many different things. If you do use these sites, how do you use them?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Just a note that your link might want to point to the page with the POLL, rather than directly to the results. :)

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

That has been fixed along with having the same question twice.

Tom
paulstreet

Linked-in

Post by paulstreet »

The only social networking site I actually feel comfortable with at the moment is the Linked-in network:

http://www.linkedin.com

as an IT professional it keeps me linked to colleagues. I'm not 100% comfortable with ones such as facebook, though I do have friends at Church who keep in contact with people they've met from around the World using it, I'm just not comfortable with posting so much personal information and I've heard horror stories of people trying to delete their accounts and all that's happened is that they've been de-activated rather than have all of their personal information deleted.

Rgds
Paul
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

I have heard the same thing about Facebook. However I think in the last few years they have really improved. When Facebook was exclusively for students, it required a university email address, I signed up. When I transfered schools I tried to just change my email but it ended up creating another profile. For a long time I had two profiles. However the incorrect one was deleted and I can no longer log in. I've also been impressed recently with their improved privacy settings and the flexibility you have to show specific information to specific groups of people. It made me feel a whole let better about letting my little sister, who is 16, sign up for an account.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I use LinkedIn and Plaxo for all of my business contacts. To just keep up with friends I used Facebook.

Tom
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

I've used several, and maintain a few:

* stumbleupon.com - helps feed me sites that I am interested in and logs the sites that I value (kind of like an online bookmarking program)

* ning.com - YM/Scouting resources and coordination across all of Texas including storage of resources; family site

* linkedin - professional

* facebook.com - family/alumni - not kept up much

* plaxo - professional (but get tired of the reminders so in disfavor)
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

Does anyone use LDS.net?
smithmj-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

My favorite Social Networking sites

Post by smithmj-p40 »

LinkedIn – Keeping in contact with current/past colleagues, job hunting, and reading ‘Answers’ section for learning what experts have to say on various topics.

Twitter – Microblogging thoughts and content I would like to share with friends and other techies. It’s a great medium for keeping up with the popular tech leaders and early adopters. I usually keep my conversations private as not to scare off my non-techie followers.

Friendfeed – Using for same purposes as Twitter but much better for conversation with popular tech leaders. I lurk more than participate on this site. :)

Facebook/Myspace – Keeping up with friends. Great for sharing content like photos and videos. Also good for keeping track of birthdays and communicating with friends instead of email. I only use email for work.

Digg/Reddit/Del.icio.us – Used for collecting the latest and most popular news that is tech related and humorous.

Tumblr – My family has a tumblelog where we all share videos, photos, articles, quotes, etc.

I’ll stop there. :)
brado426

Post by brado426 »

I use LinkedIn exclusively. I set up an account on MySpace and Facebook to see if I could find some old friends, but to me, those sites are mostly just fluff. The reason LinkedIn is good is because it is simple and it showcases what is really important to an individual. Like youtube, 99% of the stuff on Facebook and MySpace is garbage.

Cassie: Yes, I have visited lds.net on numerous occasions. There are actually some pretty interesting discussions going on in their forums.

Brad O.

Return to “General Discussions”