New circle mask on directory photos

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
mevans

New circle mask on directory photos

Post by mevans »

I see someone at the church decided to tweak the directory photos. Now all our photos have a circle mask applied to them. I also see this change has distorted the heads of several people so we have a ward with several alien beings now who have exploding or smashed heads.
eblood66

Re: New circle mask on directory photos

Post by eblood66 »

Yes, it looks very bad. Obviously they are not only using a circle mask but also transforming the image.

I also noticed that the circle version is used inconsistently. For example, if you click on a circle in the Leadership section it shows the original normal picture in full size. But if you click from the household view it shows the distorted circle in full size.

I'm going to submit feedback that they should ditch the circles. I see no advantage of having them. And if they do keep them, they need to make sure it's a pure mask and not a transformation.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

As noted in another post in the LCR forum, this change may be responsible for the absence of the Email function....
WWS36

Post by WWS36 »

I also see distortion with the Circle mask for the photos that I can see. I am missing MOST of a 3500 person Stake. If I reload my own Ward, I can see each photo that
I re-upload, BUT that is 450-500 people. OH PAIN! :roll:
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I have the same picture for household and individual. They circled my individual picture but not my household picture. The individual picture looks so ridiculous that I will probably need to take it down until they resolve the problem. If they circle my household picture with the same result, I will also need to take it down.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I sure hope someone fixes this soon. It's hard enough to get some of the sisters to put up their photos. Now some of them look terrible, overweight, distorted, etc. It could hurt self esteem, etc. Even some people in pictures that weren't distorted now have their heads cut off with the circle thing. I submitted feedback, but haven't heard anything yet.
WWS36

Post by WWS36 »

Amen to the Sisters problem! Let's not go live with a radical departure from the good old system that was working. This needs expert attention NOW. Thanks :!:
WWS36

Post by WWS36 »

Wayne, you are right. They did an upgrade but it has problems that they are working to fix. They didn't give an estimated time to resolution. (From a foirmer employee)
OUCH!!! :geek:
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mevans wrote:I submitted feedback, but haven't heard anything yet.
I did. Yes, they are taking a look at this problem. Yes, you should be able to reupload to fix.

I uploaded my picture again a few minutes ago, approved it, and it no longer displays with the distorted circle.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I got feedback that it wasn't supposed to distort the photo. They're checking into that. However, I think the circle frame makes certain assumptions about the photo that may not be valid unless all the individual photos are mug shots.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”