Young Single Adults Being Head of Household

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tubaloth

Young Single Adults Being Head of Household

Post by tubaloth »

I guess I'm a little surprised that the Church doesn't separate Young Single Adults as there own head of Household. (Obviously that is how they would be in a single adult ward).

For example we had a 33 year old lady that was still showing up under her parents. She is single and does live at home, but just seemed strange to group them that way. I ended up separating this lady to be her own household. (She is the Young Woman President)

We have other 25 year old, a 28 year old, that they do live at home, but I guess in printing a ward directory would would be better if they were there own head of household.
eblood66

Re: Young Single Adults Being Head of Household

Post by eblood66 »

It's up to the bishop to determine how a YSA living at home is handled. Individual circumstances vary greatly. LCR and MLS will let you organize households in pretty much any way you want. I think it would be hard to decide on a specific age when a YSA should be automatically be moved to their own household. 18 is probably too soon especially since many 18 year olds are still in high school. By 30 I expect most would be in their own household but even then there are exceptions (adult children with disabilities for instance). But by then most would have had to be manually moved anyway so any automatic move wouldn't be very useful. Choosing an age in between would be kind of arbitrary.

So I expect it will remain up to local units to manual make adjustments as needed.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

This page has a good summary of the policies and procedures related to household groupings:
https://www.lds.org/help/support/make-c ... s?lang=eng
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
tubaloth

Post by tubaloth »

Yeah, its hard to know when it should be done. Its kind of funny because we have some YSA that came from a YSA ward, and so there records have them as Head of Household. Thats how they would be in a singles ward, they don't get joined, back to there family (I guess unless somebody does it)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tubaloth wrote:Thats how they would be in a singles ward, they don't get joined, back to there family (I guess unless somebody does it)
The only ward that can group them back into a family is the ward that's receiving the records. And it's their choice on how it's handled.

A number of clerks have said that their ward policy is that once the member moves out of the house, they are their own household.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The purpose of grouping or not grouping is to make sure they're ministered to based on their unique needs, so it could vary from person to person. A couple of practical reasons to keep a single adult in a separate household grouping are if they live in a different place from their parents or if the ward would like to home and/or visit teach them separately from the rest of their family. As mentioned above, it's a decision the bishop and clerk can make together. There's no way the system can automatically make that judgement.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Membership Help”