Adding non member children to household?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tubaloth

Adding non member children to household?

Post by tubaloth »

With a part member family, we show the spouse that the member is married to even though they aren't a member.
The problem is there are kids that are also non members, but I have no way of adding them to the household.

I know this could be confusing, how do you show household members that aren't members of the church vs those that have been blessed (membership record) and or baptized?

Its back again to trying to print a ward directory. I pass around a printed version so people can correct any address or phone number problems. But a part member family adding kids to the list, which I can't do anything with.
drepouille

Re: Adding non member children to household?

Post by drepouille »

You can certainly list non-LDS children on their parents' records as family members. If they are under age 8 (or 9?) you may ask the parents' permission to create a membership record for them. However, if they are age 9 or over, a membership record may only be created for them if and when they are baptized.

The other shoe is when unbaptized children of record become adults (age 18), and the bishop must determine whether to cancel their membership record.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

drepouille wrote:You can certainly list non-LDS children on their parents' records as family members.
To do this find the member parent's record in MLS (not LCR), click on the Children tab and use the Add Child link in the upper right corner. This doesn't create a membership record for the child and can (and should) be done for every child of the member whether they are members, children or adults or even living with the parent. This is basically genealogy information. This will not cause the children to show up in the ward directory.
drepouille wrote:If they are under age 8 (or 9?) you may ask the parents' permission to create a membership record for them.
They must be under 8 to create a membership record without baptism. If the parent does give permission then use the Membership > Ordinances > New Child Of Record menu option in MLS to create the record. It's also a good idea to use the Membership > Ordinances > Forms > Child Blessing Record to gather all the necessary information to create the record and get written permission to create the record. Despite the name this form is used even if no blessing is being done.

Creating a membership record will cause the child to show up in the ward directory.
drepouille wrote:However, if they are age 9 or over, a membership record may only be created for them if and when they are baptized.
It's actually 8 years or over. And unfortunately there is no way to have the child show up in the ward directory if they are 8 or over unless they are baptized.
ehoggan

Post by ehoggan »

I had this same issue. When adding non-blessed kids to a family, they appear in MLS but they don't appear on any ward directories or lists, so none of the auxillaries can see them. This would be particularly good to fix for primary - where we have many non-member kids who attend regularly, but are not blessed or baptized.

Are there any plans to change this in MLS? Or is this behavior deliberate? I'm presuming it may be deliberate for legal reasons that we cannot publicly display information on minors without parental consent.

Return to “Membership Help”