Calling Change Notifications for Stake Leaders

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
schaefman00

Calling Change Notifications for Stake Leaders

Post by schaefman00 »

Hello. I wanted to suggest a new feature for LCR. When wards or branches change auxiliary head callings (also Ward Mission Leader) in LCR, it would be very helpful if this triggered an email alert to corresponding stake leaders. So often stake leaders hear about this calling changes months after they happen and are unable to provide timely training. One less thing for bishoprics to worry about, have the system do the notifying. Thoughts?

Thank you!
Steve Schaefer
Madison WI Stake
superdave98

Re: Calling Change Notifications for Stake Leaders

Post by superdave98 »

I think that is a great idea. I've thought the same thing myself. Stake Leaders in our stake have requested many, many times that wards let them know when presidencies change so they can provide needed training. It just seems to be one of those things that gets loss in the shuffle.

Dave
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Different stakes have different levels of involvement when it comes to training of ward leaders. Some stakes may want all leaders in a certain organization to be following the same plan or procedures, and another stake might want to leave training up to the bishops. So, you would need to have a custom alerts system that stake leaders choose which alerts they want to get. This may complicate things.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
nikk3hi3tala

Post by nikk3hi3tala »

Different stakes may have different procedures, but I think stake leaders in all stakes should know the ward leaders in the respective organization. If they want to give any training to the newly called ward leaders is up to them, but they would probably still appreciate the alert of calling changes.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It makes sense when there's a clear auxiliary connection, like ward young men presidency and stake young men presidency, but who on the stake level should receive a notification if the ward mission leader changes?
nikk3hi3tala

Post by nikk3hi3tala »

sbradshaw wrote:It makes sense when there's a clear auxiliary connection, like ward young men presidency and stake young men presidency, but who on the stake level should receive a notification if the ward mission leader changes?
Good question. Maybe in that case no notification was necessary. Or, maybe Stake Executive Secretary should get the notice. He could then inform the member of High Council responsible for missionary work, if so wished.
Also, who should receive notification if the callings in the stake level presidency are of some reason vacant? Maybe all notifications should go to Exec. Sec. (and if that calling is vacant, then directly to SP).
I haven't served in any stake level presidencies, so I don't know how big issue this is. But I can imagine that the wards often forgot to inform the stake about changes in ward level presidencies.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

As a side note, one useful tool for stake leaders who have responsibility for helping ward organizations is the Ward Leadership report on Leader and Clerk Resources:
https://www.lds.org/mls/mbr/orgs/ward-l ... p?lang=eng
There's an "Organization" filter to show, for example, all Young Men Presidencies. It won't notify you when there are changes, but at least you don't have to go to a different page for each ward to check.
bweight

Post by bweight »

I think this would be great. I am currently the Stake Clerk and I am constantly having to audit the ward positions looking for changes so that I can let the Stake Leaders know. The alerts should be fairly easy to implement and will be infrequent enough that they can be ignored if not needed. A method to subscribe to them, much like subscribing to calendars would be great. A the Stake Clerk I would subscribe to all. But the Stake YM president may subscribe along with his secretary in one stake, but perhaps in another ward it would just be the YM president.

Thanks for the heads up on the Ward Leadership report. This is handy as it prevents having to go into each separate ward. Heck, if the alerts aren't possible, it would be great to have a filter on this report to just show changes in the last X days, not as great as alerts, but better than what we have now.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”