General Conference Sessions

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
sdhlaw

General Conference Sessions

Post by sdhlaw »

May I suggest that you leave up the conference sessions, each in its entirety, for at least a month after conference, for those who could not see a session but want to catch it all in context? Because of an unavoidable conflict, I missed the Priesthood Session from last Saturday night (April 2016) and sat down to watch it this evening and it had already been broken up into most of its component parts. It was disappointing to find it unavailable already, only a week later.

Each conference talk is a marvel. Each musical number is inspiring. The prayers also (which are not saved for re-viewing, for understandable reasons) are also inspired and inspiring. But whole sessions, taken in context, are more than the sum of their parts, and are worthy of seeing just as they occurred.

I can understand that there may be storage and bandwidth issues, but surely you can deal with those for a month. Considering the fact that the church is now worldwide, I think this would be a resource that, especially in outlying areas, would be advantageous for those who are not able to see the conference as and when it occurs.

Thanks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: General Conference Sessions

Post by lajackson »

sdhlaw wrote:May I suggest that you leave up the conference sessions, each in its entirety, for at least a month after conference, for those who could not see a session but want to catch it all in context?
This would make an excellent suggestion to send using one of the LDS.org Feedback links. Those who make those decisions rarely visit the Forum, so they probably will not see your suggestion here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It wasn't behaving a minute ago, but now it's fine. If you go to gc.lds.org, and click on the "three dot" menu next to the session name, you have the choice of watch, listen, download audio, and download video. I clicked on the "watch" and saw the opening of the session, so it certainly looks like the entire session.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cguzman

Post by cguzman »

So it looks like this portion of the website is broken. We were planning on watching a talk for FHE tonight but we're out of luck for today. Can't download the talks or even watch. Click play and nothing happens. I've tried both Chrome and Edge browsers without any luck. Even Safari on iPhone and iPad but no luck. Just wondering if you guys know what's going on. Not even past sessions work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cguzman wrote:Can't download the talks or even watch. Click play and nothing happens. I've tried both Chrome and Edge browsers without any luck. Even Safari on iPhone and iPad but no luck. Just wondering if you guys know what's going on. Not even past sessions work.
When I first visited the site, that's how it behaved for me. On the second visit, the photos for each of the speakers appeared and buttons started to work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cguzman wrote:So it looks like this portion of the website is broken. We were planning on watching a talk for FHE tonight but we're out of luck for today. Can't download the talks or even watch. Click play and nothing happens. I've tried both Chrome and Edge browsers without any luck. Even Safari on iPhone and iPad but no luck. Just wondering if you guys know what's going on. Not even past sessions work.
You can certainly use the Gospel Library application -- that works for reading, viewing, or listening. If you have Windows 10 (or even 8.1), you can install the Windows version. Since you mentioned the Edge browser, you should be able to use that option. And it will work for you tonight, even if there are still problems with viewing General Conference on LDS.org.
cguzman

Post by cguzman »

Thanks all, it seems to be working fine today. Last night I couldn't even access past conferences. I found the talk I was looking for last night in YouTube so that's how we ended up watching it. Thanks again!!
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

It was broken again tonight.
freedomworks

Post by freedomworks »

Broken again this morning.
I tried:
- Chrome and Firefox on an Windows 7 box, and
- Chrome and Firefox on a Windows XP box.
Neither the audio or the video work.

Return to “Main Church Website”