LDSAccount phishing?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
danpass

LDSAccount phishing?

Post by danpass »

Earlier this morning, I received a PM from a tech forum member who had only joined the forum about 20 minutes earlier. The message was:
hi,im doind some research on my italian ancestors,can you lend me your account to research on familysearch please?
I suspect that this is someone just trying to get access to an LDSAccount, and most likely other forum members may have been targeted.

In case this individual is sincere in their intent, I did reply that account sharing is not allowed and completely unnecessary, since anyone can create their own FamilySearch account.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: LDSAccount phishing?

Post by sbradshaw »

Not only that, but they wouldn't be able to link anyone in to their own family – they would be linking people to your family.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:Not only that, but they wouldn't be able to link anyone in to their own family – they would be linking people to your family.
We're all one family. It would be an inconvenient starting point, but it could be done. But there's no way to limit the use to just FamilySearch - they'd have access to everything you have access too - directory, donations, etc.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

True, but they'd have to find the link between themselves and the user before making any good progress with their Italian ancestors. :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “General Discussions”