HTM5 Video Player required

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
vogel

HTM5 Video Player required

Post by vogel »

Adobe Flash is a security nightmare. So I deinstalled Flash on my computer.
Nearly all platforms like youtube, media centers etc. provide HTML5 media players, with the exception of lds.org :cry: .
I am not going to install Flash again!
When do we get an HTML5 media player on lds.org?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: HTM5 Video Player required

Post by aebrown »

vogel wrote:Adobe Flash is a security nightmare. So I deinstalled Flash on my computer.
Nearly all platforms like youtube, media centers etc. provide HTML5 media players, with the exception of lds.org :cry: .
I am not going to install Flash again!
When do we get an HTML5 media player on lds.org?
The media player used for General Conference on LDS.org is now an HTML5 player. So I think that's a good indication that the Church is planning to move this direction (but that's just speculation on my part). However, the Media Library still uses a Flash player.
vogel

Post by vogel »

aebrown wrote: The media player used for General Conference on LDS.org is now an HTML5 player. So I think that's a good indication that the Church is planning to move this direction (but that's just speculation on my part). However, the Media Library still uses a Flash player.
Oh, I didn't recognize that the English pages for the GC are already using the HTML5-Player, because the German GC pages still use Flash. I hope that the rest will follow soon. The videos are available in MP4/H.264 format, but only for download and not for streaming....
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Most of the videos on LDS.org are also available on YouTube, which, from what I understand is no longer blocked in meetinghouses.
Also, I have Chrome on my computer as a backup browser, which has a sandboxed, well-maintained version of Flash bundled with it – I switch to Chrome temporarily when I need to watch something with Flash.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Main Church Website”