Entering custom callings that don't require a sustaining

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dougj

Entering custom callings that don't require a sustaining

Post by dougj »

We have several members in our ward, including me, who are volunteers at our temple.

These callings do not require or include a sustaining over the pulpit. (We are, however, set apart by a member of the temple presidency.)

I created a custom calling named, "Provo City Center Temple Volunteer". I couldn't find another appropriate calling in the available lists/organizations and that is how the temple presidency set us apart.

And, LCR seems to require a sustain date.

Is there a way to leave the 'sustained' date field blank in LCR when adding this type of calling or do I need to enter 'dummy' date?

Thanks in advance for any responses or ideas.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Entering custom callings that don't require a sustaining

Post by sbradshaw »

I would probably put the setting apart date as the sustained date for simplicity. But I wish the temple could enter these callings in a system where it shows up in Leader and Clerk Resources, similar to how full-time missionaries show up in Leader and Clerk Resources. It is interesting; I never thought about the fact that temple workers are set apart but never sustained.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think you'd want the date so that at some time down the road, you have an idea about how long they've had that calling. The fact they're never sustained doesn't really matter.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

We use a date closely associated with when the member was called, set apart, or otherwise started service. Stake Auditors, for example, are not sustained and are not usually set apart. So we use the date they are called and begin serving.

Return to “Membership Help”