Journal Items Not in Reverse Chronological Order

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
gregbishop

Journal Items Not in Reverse Chronological Order

Post by gregbishop »

My understanding was that in the "Notes and Journal" view, the "All Items" folder shows the latest item you added at the top of Notes and Journal and all the remaining items in reverse chronological order. (See https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/not ... ebooks.htm)
This is how this has worked for the last couple of years but now my notes sort in a seemingly random order. The most recent day's notes will be in reverse chronological order and then after that I'll see a random order of past entries from years ago, recently, last year, etc. I have been entering notes nearly every day for the last year so there are plenty of recent entries and I've not seen this behavior before.
I'm not filtering the view using tags or types and this seems to be case regardless of logging out and back in, viewing different notebooks, filtering, etc. I've uploaded an attachment showing the sort order.
Does anybody have any ideas on what could be causing this or how to rectify it?
Attachments
screenshot-www.lds.org 2014-12-24 08-52-00.png
Screen shot showing incorrect order of notes
(282.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PamelaBonta

Re: Journal Items Not in Reverse Chronological Order

Post by PamelaBonta »

They are ordered by last accessed date, not by reverse creation date.
gregbishop

Post by gregbishop »

Good clarification but this has nothing to do with the problem I'm experiencing.

Right now, my sort order provides 3 days of reverse chronological items (based on the last saved date and time) but then starts with a forward chronological list of items starting in 2011, probably when I started creating notes and highlights.

You are correct that they should be ordered by last accessed date (as long as "accessed" is taken to mean last date the items were saved and not just viewed or clicked on) and not by created date as I referenced.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

Have you ever used one of the Gospel Library apps? If so, they order things the opposite way - the last accessed or saved is at the bottom. If you have used both Notes and GL app, they will be way out of order! I just today received notification from the manager of Notes that fixing the order is on their list of things to do for a future release (but there is no official timeline as for when that might be).
gregbishop

Post by gregbishop »

That must be what it is. I do use Gospel Library on two other devices. One is a Windows 8 PC (Surface Pro) that is likely the culprit. I also use Gospel LIbrary on my Android phone but that doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Thanks for the help on troubleshooting! I look forward to seeing this fixed.
loveal

Post by loveal »

On my android device, my tags are all in the correct order, which lists the most recently added/modified items at the top of the list. However, when I view my notes on lds.org from a Windows 7 machine with a browser (Chrome, IE, Firefox), the notes appear to be listed backwards, with the oldest notes/highlights at the top. Would love to see this be consistent in both settings.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

That was the way it was designed. You may find that if you are switching back and forth between the two that they go completely out of order as a result.

To ensure that your suggestion is seen by the developers, please submit a feedback item through the form link found at the bottom of any LDS.org web page.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”