Out of Unit Member Calling Problem

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
momasboy

Out of Unit Member Calling Problem

Post by momasboy »

We have a missionary couple in our district that will be teaching institute. I set up Out Of Unit memberships for them, but when I go do update their callings on LCR I get the following error.
"The name entered does not match the name used on the membership record. Please check the name, and try again"

Not sure where to go from here.
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Out of Unit Member Calling Problem

Post by russellhltn »

I'd guess that when placing someone in a calling, it's picker than when setting up the Out of Unit membership. I'm not sure if it's expecting the "full" (legal) name or the preferred name.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

In my experience it hasn't been very picky – that's interesting. I'm not sure what algorithm it uses to match the full or preferred name. I've added out-of-unit members to callings in the past with just a preferred name, which doesn't always even exactly match the recorded preferred name.

It may be related to the fact that out-of-unit membership records are required for out-of-unit callings on the ward level, but aren't needed for callings on the stake level. Institute callings are on the stake level. I'm assuming you added an out-of-unit membership record for them in one of the wards in the stake, and are now trying to add them to a stake calling? Try deleting the ward out-of-unit membership record, then add them to their stake-level calling using their membership record number.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
momasboy

Post by momasboy »

sbradshaw wrote:In my experience it hasn't been very picky – that's interesting. I'm not sure what algorithm it uses to match the full or preferred name. I've added out-of-unit members to callings in the past with just a preferred name, which doesn't always even exactly match the recorded preferred name.

It may be related to the fact that out-of-unit membership records are required for out-of-unit callings on the ward level, but aren't needed for callings on the stake level. Institute callings are on the stake level. I'm assuming you added an out-of-unit membership record for them in one of the wards in the stake, and are now trying to add them to a stake calling? Try deleting the ward out-of-unit membership record, then add them to their stake-level calling using their membership record number.
Thank for the advice. Yes, I added an out of unit membership record in their branch so that I could update their District level institute callings. Before I added the out of unit membership, the couple did not even show up on our membership roster... How can I add their district calling if they do not show up at all? I thought the point of adding the "out of unit" membership was so that they would show up on our rosters and allow us to assign callings ... I guess I don't understand how to add a district level calling with just a membership record number... I have not seen options on LCR that allow me to do that.

Also, Can I delete the branch out -of-unit membership record? Or do I have to have the branch do that? I have looked on LCR and have not found a way to delete it.
Thanks!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

momasboy wrote:Can I delete the branch out-of-unit membership record? Or do I have to have the branch do that? I have looked on LCR and have not found a way to delete it.
Since the branch had to put in the out of unit member in the first place, the branch will have to delete it.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Try removing the out-of-unit member on the branch level, then go to Seminary and Institute on the stake level and type the membership record number where it says "Member Name or MRN." You should see an option to assign the calling to an out-of-unit member. You won't need to create an actual out-of-unit membership record, because it's a stake calling and the person isn't a member of any specific ward in the stake.
screenshot_120.png
(39.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
screenshot_121.png
(21.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”