Updating new branch clerk

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
momasboy

Updating new branch clerk

Post by momasboy »

One of our branches has just called a new clerk. Who has the rights to update the calling on LCR? Looks like it requires two individuals to authorize the calling. The branch president and the exec sec both tried to authorize the new clerk calling, but its not working for them. Does it require authorization from another member of the branch presidency or from a district presidency member?

Thanks
John
eblood66

Re: Updating new branch clerk

Post by eblood66 »

What problem are you having? Any member of the branch presidency should be able to make that change. No additional authorization should be needed.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I was sustained as a ward clerk last Sunday. After I was set apart by the stake presidency, the bishop signed in to LCR and updated the calling, and then signed in to MLS to create an MLS account for me. In MLS, I was immediately able to print a new signature card as well as process a donation batch. On LCR, I had to wait until Monday morning before my new calling/privileges kicked in.

I wonder if the problem this branch is having is that either the branch president or the branch clerk is an out-of-unit member?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
momasboy

Post by momasboy »

eblood66 wrote:What problem are you having? Any member of the branch presidency should be able to make that change. No additional authorization should be needed.
LCR asks for two different users to authorize the calling of a branch clerk. The branch president and exec sec tried to update the calling on LCR, but it said their authorization was invalid. My guess is the exec sec doesn't have the rights to update that calling. I'll just have the branch president and one of his counselors try it again.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

momasboy wrote:LCR asks for two different users to authorize the calling of a branch clerk. The branch president and exec sec tried to update the calling on LCR, but it said their authorization was invalid. My guess is the exec sec doesn't have the rights to update that calling. I'll just have the branch president and one of his counselors try it again.
Your profile doesn't say what country you're in. If you're in a location where electronic payments are supported, I think I've heard that it may require two person authorization to put someone in a calling that has finance rights. Assuming that's the case I don't know who is authorized to do so but it would make sense that it has to be someone who has finance rights themselves. So the branch president and a counselor probably has a good chance of working.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

It seems to be a very recent requirement, in MLS, that anyone who deals with finance has to change their password on a regular basis. It requires 2 signatures to authorise a change of password, from other members of the Bishopric who deal with finance.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

In some areas of the world, expenses can be paid from MLS using electronic payments instead of printing a physical check. When recording those expenses in MLS, MLS requires two users to approve the transaction, similar to the process that occurs when a donation batch is closed. The only time a user in the United States or Canada would typically see this is when transferring money to another unit using MLS.

In areas that allow electronic payments, changing a calling with finance authorization rights requires two users with finance authorization rights to approve the change. The branch president and one of his counselors should be able to make the change.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:It seems to be a very recent requirement, in MLS, that anyone who deals with finance has to change their password on a regular basis. It requires 2 signatures to authorise a change of password, from other members of the Bishopric who deal with finance.
When you say "change a password", you mean for an administrator to force change the password, or does that include when the user has to update their expired password? If the latter, does that then require just one person to "vouch" for them, or does it require a total of three people?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
Biggles wrote:It seems to be a very recent requirement, in MLS, that anyone who deals with finance has to change their password on a regular basis. It requires 2 signatures to authorise a change of password, from other members of the Bishopric who deal with finance.
When you say "change a password", you mean for an administrator to force change the password, or does that include when the user has to update their expired password? If the latter, does that then require just one person to "vouch" for them, or does it require a total of three people?
Unfortunately it requires three people, for both scenarios. We found out, to our cost, a few weeks ago when we weren't able to authorise a donation batch, because of an expired password. All the other members of the Bishopric had gone home!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:Unfortunately it requires three people, for both scenarios.
For an expired password? That's nuts. That's going to come back on a small branch when a password expires at a inopportune time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”