How to re-categorize distribution center charges

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
stuartdj

How to re-categorize distribution center charges

Post by stuartdj »

We would like to move charges around from the distribution center line item in our ward budget. When we buy things they default come out of the distribution center "bucket" and are all lumped together in that category. However, the charges actually apply to other areas such as young men, young women, etc. How do I do this? Also, what are "Admin" charges? I can't figure this one out.

Thanks!
eblood66

Re: How to re-categorize distribution center charges

Post by eblood66 »

Use the Finance > View/Update Expenses menu item to get a list of all expenses. Find the expense you want to re-categorize and click on it. Then just edit the category and save. You can even split the expense into multiple categories as long as the total remains the same. When you save it will ask you to give a reason for the change. I like to enter the actual purpose for of the expense because that is what will show up on the budget reports for the organizations.

When you re-categorize it doesn't actually change the original transaction. Instead it makes a transfer from the old category to the new one(s). But it keeps a link to the original transaction which makes for a better audit trail than would be the case if you used the MLS transfer option.
stuartdj

Post by stuartdj »

Ok, thanks! I'm assuming this can only be done in MLS at this point?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

stuartdj wrote:Ok, thanks! I'm assuming this can only be done in MLS at this point?
LCR is "view only", and limited at that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”