From Windows to Linux

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
franklinr

From Windows to Linux

Post by franklinr »

For those who may be interested in moving away from the Microsoft world on your computers. I have re-started a Facebook Group called, "Latter Day Systems" in which I describe my own foray into the world of Linux. To go there just type the first word into the F-box at the top and you will see it there. Click on it to see what I have there.
I have three computers in the office and another that I pulled out of storage and installed Linux Mint 17.1 Mint where I can use it to run everything I did in the Windows 7 environment. It is running very well on this old HP 32-Bit machine with 4GB of RAM.

Attached is the opening screen of my Linux system. I can run everything here that I do in Windows. I made this look like Windows because it is an easier transition and I'm more comfortable with it.
Attachments
Linux Windows Start Screen.jpg
Linux Windows Start Screen.jpg (18.65 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
christophermarkis

Re: From Windows to Linux

Post by christophermarkis »

I use Linux Lite, which is a VERY User Friendly flavor of Linux (Ubuntu / Mint) with a large Consortium supporting it. The Desktop GUI is very easy to navigate, as is the "Install Updates", which is so very easy, my wife can do it (and she dislikes computers). With older computers at our local Family History Center, I've found that Linux Lite runs very fast, long after MSwindows comes to a crawl on the same hardware. I'd highly recommend the Family History Centers migrate to Linux Lite, getting away from having to constantly buy newer hardware to continue supporting MS. On new hardware, Linux Lite runs even better. Best part, no licensing required !!! I use it at home, as well. On Laptops, it doubles the battery runtime, right out of the box.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Nothing saying about absolutely no virus and security issues.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marianomarini wrote:Nothing saying about absolutely no virus and security issues.
Much less common, but not zero.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

russellhltn wrote:
marianomarini wrote:Nothing saying about absolutely no virus and security issues.
Much less common, but not zero.
Nothing in this sad and desolate world is perfect.
I use Linux ONLY in all my pc since 1998 and I never had virus problems.
Someone said that this is due to a small Linux market. This can be right for desktop, but most of the server (Internet included) have Linux.

Return to “General Discussions”