Default Class Jan 1

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
bush2595

Default Class Jan 1

Post by bush2595 »

Hi I noticed a new member born Jan 1 2004 was automatically assigned the Course 12 Sunday School class as the default class. All other children born in 2004 are assigned the Valiant 11 Primary class. I can manually change her to be with her primary class but then this would have to be done manually for the rest of her Sunday School years. Is there a way to change the default for one person?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Default Class Jan 1

Post by russellhltn »

bush2595 wrote:Hi I noticed a new member born Jan 1 2004 was automatically assigned the Course 12 Sunday School class as the default class. All other children born in 2004 are assigned the Valiant 11 Primary class.
According to Handbook 2: 11.4.3, a child's age on Jan 1 determines what class they should be in. Since she was 12 on Jan 1, she should be in Course 12.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bush2595

Post by bush2595 »

This puts her in a class older than the kids she goes to school with.
Another problem we've run into is concerning a Nursery child whose birthday is Jan 1. Because we have such a large nursery, we've divided it by birth year. So as it goes all children born in 2013 will go to Sunbeams next year, including the child born on Jan, 1, 2013. But his default shows he should already be a Sunbeam. Do we just have to change the default each year?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bush2595 wrote:Do we just have to change the default each year?
In this case, and with the Sunday School example you gave, yes, you will have to change the class assignment each year. LCR/MLS is programmed based on the calendar year.

As you mentioned, many school years do not coincide, and some bishops make provision for that difference. But when they do, the manual assignment process is the only way to maintain the difference.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

School years are shifted several months from the calendar year, so in a ward with a good number of youth, about half of the youth in Course 12 should be in one grade, and the other half should be in another grade. Unless I'm missing something mathematically, there will be a mismatch no matter where the cutoff date is, unless it's between school years.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:Unless I'm missing something mathematically, there will be a mismatch no matter where the cutoff date is, unless it's between school years.
And the date would have to be synchronized with the local school board. Some have admission standards based on current age, others by age at the end of the calendar year. And then you've got those that have transferred in from another school system.

School systems that are based on age at the end of the calendar year should sync up pretty well with the church program.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”