Distance Limitations in DSL Installation

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
techgy
Community Moderators

Distance Limitations in DSL Installation

Post by techgy »

I was wondering if anyone knew what the distance limits are for running a CAT5 cable from a Router to a PC? Our stake was recently advised that we can now install meetinghouse Internet and in reviewing our options we realize that the distance between offices in our stake building may be around 50 feet. Wireless isn't a good option either as it would be limited as well.

What have others done? Does anyone know what limits regarding distances I might face?
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew what the distance limits are for running a CAT5 cable from a Router to a PC? Our stake was recently advised that we can now install meetinghouse Internet and in reviewing our options we realize that the distance between offices in our stake building may be around 50 feet. Wireless isn't a good option either as it would be limited as well.

What have others done? Does anyone know what limits regarding distances I might face?

I ran a 200-ft Cat5e cable as part of my Meetinghouse Internet installation, and it worked fine. I've run 300-ft cables in other situations. There's definitely no problem with 50 feet.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

100 meters (328 feet) is the maximum limit, but in practice, installers like to limit runs to 90m to allow for patch cables at each end.

BTW, Google is your friend. ;)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Mikerowaved wrote:100 meters (328 feet) is the maximum limit, but in practice, installers like to limit runs to 90m to allow for patch cables at each end.

BTW, Google is your friend. ;)
Timing of the signal is the reason for the limit. For practical purposes 90 meters should not be exceeded. This allows for 5 meters of patch on either end.

What do you do if you must exceed 100 meters? Since timing is the primary concern then you need to insert a signal repeater. The cheapest piece of hardware to accomplish this is a network switch. Do not use a hub as it merely acts as a splitter and does not 'process' the signal.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”