New Bishopric, need access to MLS and ability to do Tithing count, sign checks, etc.

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
tstock7

New Bishopric, need access to MLS and ability to do Tithing count, sign checks, etc.

Post by tstock7 »

Hi everyone,

I am a relatively new Ward Clerk and we just had a Bishopric change. I need to get the new Bishopric access to MLS and the ability to sign checks/do the Tithing count. I vaguely remember being set up in the system by our previous Ward Clerk and I just wanted to confirm what I need to do.

When accessing MLS, what do I need to do to get the newly called individuals able to log in? Is there a 'new user' prompt or something like that?

Also, I recall there is a 'signature' page or something like that which allows certain people the ability to sign checks, do Tithing, etc. I recall that is accessible through MLS, is that correct?

Thank you, I look forward to reading any responses.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New Bishopric, need access to MLS and ability to do Tithing count, sign checks, etc.

Post by russellhltn »

You can find the information under Maintain MLS User Access.

Just as a tip, do NOT give the bishopric councilors "membership" rights. They'll be quite disappointed to find they don't have those rights in LCR.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: New Bishopric, need access to MLS and ability to do Tithing count, sign checks, etc.

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:Just as a tip, do NOT give the bishopric councilors "membership" rights. They'll be quite disappointed to find they don't have those rights in LCR.
Specifically, don't give them "Edit Membership" permissions ("View Membership" is actually required for Finance permissions, which bishopric counselors would almost certainly need).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

tstock7 wrote:I need to get the new Bishopric access to MLS and the ability to sign checks/do the Tithing count.
In addition to MLS, they will need to have standard callings at LCR.
tstock7 wrote:Also, I recall there is a 'signature' page or something like that which allows certain people the ability to sign checks, do Tithing, etc. I recall that is accessible through MLS, is that correct?
Look for the signature card in MLS under Forms. As soon as the new form is mailed, those on it may sign checks. The signature card does not do anything else other than record who may sign checks. It does not affect the ability to prepare deposits.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote:
tstock7 wrote:I need to get the new Bishopric access to MLS and the ability to sign checks/do the Tithing count.
In addition to MLS, they will need to have standard callings at LCR.
And those callings will need to be down in MLS (Send/Receive after they are entered in LCR)
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

And, only the stake can do this for the Bishop. If the Bishop hasn't shown up you need to contact the Stake Clerk.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:And, only the stake can do this for the Bishop. If the Bishop hasn't shown up you need to contact the Stake Clerk.
To clarify, only the stake can input the new bishop into LCR. It will auto-release the councilors. Then the ward can input the new councilors in LCR. (The stake can't do that.)

All additions to MLS itself will have to be done on the local machine - probably by the ward clerk, since it needs to be someone with admin access in MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”