Cisco Router Password

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
pricer

Cisco Router Password

Post by pricer »

In the instructions for the router, I did not see a statement to change the password, I am going to assume I need to change the password. Is there any other FAQ beyond the Church instructions that I need to know. Please give any links that I may need to read. Our DSL modem should arrive soon. Thanks for all your response and help.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I would suggest just leaving like it is. The GSC folks would probably not appreciate having it changed when they go to login remotely to finalize the configuration.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Did it come with a password or are you assuming it's default? I would expect the device to come pre-configured to church standards.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I'm playing with one on my home LAN right now. It come mostly pre-configured, with an information booklet to fill out with info about your unit, your STS, your ISP and whether it needs things like static IP entered, PPPoE credentials, etc., etc.

The booklet then walks you through the final steps of logging into the configuration menu and getting it on the internet with your particular ISP. (BTW, you ONLY need to configure the Cisco box if you have a static IP address or PPPoE. If your ISP uses a DHCP server, it should be good to go.) Once it's verified you can reach google.com, you call a special toll-free GSC number to have them finalize the configuration remotely. I would imagine once that happens, they will configure the firewall to the level of restriction requested by the Stake President and before they leave, set a secure password to prevent local "tinkering". (Not that any of us would be tempted, mind you. :rolleyes:)

The one thing I could see would throw people was it just mentioned very briefly how to connect it to your ISP's modem. It did NOT cover the fact that many modems issued nowadays have a built-in router, SPI firewall, NAT, DHCP server, switch, WAP, and who knows what else? Everything except the modem functionality needs to be disabled or bypassed. This is often called "transparent bridging" and some ISPs get a little squeamish about support when you configure their modems this way.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danpass

Post by danpass »

pricer wrote:In the instructions for the router, I did not see a statement to change the password, I am going to assume I need to change the password. Is there any other FAQ beyond the Church instructions that I need to know. Please give any links that I may need to read. Our DSL modem should arrive soon. Thanks for all your response and help.
When you call GSD to activate the router/firewall, the resulting configuration and activation includes locking it down.

I don't remember if it came with no password or if the documentation had a password. The reason that you have access to the router administration when you first receive it, is so that in the event that your ISP has assigned you a static IP, you can configure the router accordingly. Once you have done this and have established Internet connectivity, the router becomes accessible by GSD so that when you call to activate it, they can connect to it and configure it. Once this has occurred, you will find that you can no longer access the administration interface without supplying a username and password.

If your IP address is assigned dynamically, there is not need to access the router's administration interface. However, if you are curious, as I was, and want to take a peek under the hood :rolleyes:, then here is your chance.

By the way, until the router activation is complete, when you open your browser, the router will only present the activation page, which instructs you to call GSD for activation.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”