Audio zip file extract error

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
nmecantwin73

Audio zip file extract error

Post by nmecantwin73 »

I post this as FYI and for the off-chance that an LDS.org engineer may see it....

On the lds.org > Manuals page, the TOPC: Howard W. Hunter manual (https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-of ... r?lang=eng) can be downloaded as the entire manual in mp3 audio format in one large zip file. When we try to extract the files from that zip file using the Windows zip extractor without changing any of the defaults, it will fail stating the "File Path is too long" because the zip folder, sub folder, and mp3 file names go beyond the 256 character string size limit in Windows.

There are a couple of ways to work around this:
- Probably the easiest way is to just rename and shorten the downloaded zip file name to be much shorter than "2016-01-001-teachings-of-presidents-of-the-church-howard-w-hunter-complete-mp3-eng.zip".
- Another way is to use a different method of extraction -- I tried using 7-zip and it extracted without error.

I have tested this in Windows 7 and Windows 10 with the same result. In Mac OS X, it extracts all the mp3 files without issue.

Aside from the organizational aspect, why do these file names need to be so long? And can/will the website stewards adjust them to be more user-friendly? I know this may never be answered here. I did also submit feedback on that lds.org page. Maybe it will be forwarded along... maybe....
nmecantwin73

Re: Audio zip file extract error

Post by nmecantwin73 »

...I did also submit feedback on that lds.org page. Maybe it will be forwarded along... maybe....
I actually got a response that my feedback message was forwarded to the person over that area.... cool! :)

Return to “Main Church Website”