Home teaching overview statistics inconsistent

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
jssmith88

Home teaching overview statistics inconsistent

Post by jssmith88 »

This post is regarding the home teaching overview page on LCR. I have encountered unexpected behavior and would like to know whether or not it is a bug.

If I am looking at statistics by month and select 'Totals' rather than percentages, I see the # visited/ #total for households assigned to High Priests, Elders, and Unassigned. The issue I am encountering is that the denominators for some of these (High Priests and Unassigned) does not seem consistent with the information found on the 'Households' tab. If I go to the Households tab and filter by 'Not Assigned Home Teachers' and get a total of X for Elders and Y for High Priests, then I would expect that the denominator for Unassigned households on the overview page to be X + Y. However, it not.
Likewise, the number of households Assigned home teachers for the High Priests (as found on the Households tab) is not equal to the denominator for High Priest visits on the overview tab. For that matter, the denominator for total visits doesn't equal exactly the sum of the households for the Elders and High Priests on the 'Households' tab (off by 1).
I suspect that these numbers are simply 'out of date' rather than 'wrong'. A few days ago a number of households were assigned to the High Priests (that were previously Unassigned), and would account for most of the discrepancy; the rest are probably due to moves in/out. However, all the information on the Households and Companionships tabs is up to date, so why would the overview page not be? Curiously, if one of these households that was recently assigned to the High Priests is marked as visited, the numerator for High Priests visits increases by 1, even though the denominator has not changed since they were assigned.
In summary, everything seems to function as expected, except that the denominators on the overview page do not reflect current numbers (in this case, they are at least at least 3 days out of date).

Is this a bug or expected behavior? If it is expected, could some please explain why this is the case? If not, is there some way to trigger a refresh of the totals?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Home teaching overview statistics inconsistent

Post by lajackson »

jssmith88 wrote:In summary, everything seems to function as expected, except that the denominators on the overview page do not reflect current numbers (in this case, they are at least at least 3 days out of date).

Is this a bug or expected behavior? If it is expected, could some please explain why this is the case? If not, is there some way to trigger a refresh of the totals?
I believe the denominators are set during a monthly "shapshot" and not changed until the next month. The principle involved seems to be that the responsibility for home teaching families is updated each month and should be reported based on the number of families assigned at that time for the current month.

If a family moves in on the 25th and is assigned to be home taught, the denominator is not changed because it is not expected that the family will be home taught until the following month. That the visit can be reported and counted if the family is, in fact, visited during the last 5 days of the month appears to be the anomaly.

I suppose that makes up for the family that moved out on the 5th and did not get home taught.
McLaughlinES

Re: Home teaching overview statistics inconsistent

Post by McLaughlinES »

I have also noticed that if a family is marked as home taught during the month prior to moving them out of the ward, they show up as a family taught in the ward in which their records were on the first of the month. Their record in the new ward will indicate that they were taught for that month but the visit is not counted in the new ward. If the new ward deletes the visit for that first partial month, they actually change the HT stats for the prior ward.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”