Adding priesthood retrospectively

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
TobiasD

Adding priesthood retrospectively

Post by TobiasD »

Hi!

I have an issue with MLS. A member who turned 14 a while ago was ordained as a teacher, which was recorded by a member of the branch presidency. However, the initial conferring of the aaronic priesthood and ordination as a deacon was not recorded. After I found out the original dates, MLS didn't give me an option to add previous priesthood ordinances. My only options were to add priest/elder etc.

Is it possible to add ordinances in the wrong order r how should I handle this?

Best regards
Tobias
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Adding priesthood retrospectively

Post by russellhltn »

Other than for a historical record, I don't think there's anything to be accomplished by adding that. Certainly, from a ward's view, the last ordination supersedes all prior ones. His eventual Elder ordination will supersede all Aaronic ones.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

TobiasD wrote:Is it possible to add ordinances in the wrong order r how should I handle this?
I recommend you send a Special Request to headquarters providing the deacon ordination information. Although it will not appear on the local unit membership record, I believe it will be recorded on the master record at Church headquarters.
TobiasD

Post by TobiasD »

Thank you for your replies! I will probably add the information to headquarters to avoid eventual future problems, even though it will probably be unnecessary.

All the best
caryegbert44

Post by caryegbert44 »

I have the same situation, and it's important to the family to have his Deacon ordination recorded. We have all the correct information but can't use MLS to enter it because he is now a Teacher. MLS does give me the option of "removing" an ordination, which I assume would then allow me to enter both his Deacon and Teacher ordination information. Any thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

caryegbert44 wrote:I have the same situation, and it's important to the family to have his Deacon ordination recorded. We have all the correct information but can't use MLS to enter it because he is now a Teacher. MLS does give me the option of "removing" an ordination, which I assume would then allow me to enter both his Deacon and Teacher ordination information. Any thoughts?
Use the "Special Request" feature. I would not remove an ordination just to record one. The only thing the family sees is the certificate, so I see no advantage of recording it through MLS as opposed to other methods. In fact, the ordination will become a historical footnote at CHQ. There will be nothing you'll see any different since the Teacher ordination blocks all view of prior history as far as the ward or members can see.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Let me back up a second. How do you know the prior ordinance wasn't recorded? MLS will only show you the most recent ordinance. The only way it would become an issue now is if the problem had been noticed before the most recent ordinance.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Let me back up a second. How do you know the prior ordinance wasn't recorded? MLS will only show you the most recent ordinance.
This is correct. Today a local membership record or IOS only shows the latest Aaronic Priesthood ordination, or the first Melchizedek Priesthood ordination (usually elder) and the latest MP ordination if it is different (usually high priest). (The first MP ordination is important because it is needed for temple ordinances.)

So if the record shows a priest ordination, the deacon and teacher ordination will no longer be shown, although I believe they are still kept at Church headquarters.
caryegbert44

Post by caryegbert44 »

Thank you - you're right that I don't know if the Deacon ordination information had been recorded as I assumed all Aaronic Priesthood ordinations performed would actually show up. I should have paid more attention to the MLS message about the listed ordinations saying: "If no Melchizedek Priesthood ordinations were performed or recorded, then the highest Aaronic Priesthood ordination is displayed." Thanks again!
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lajackson wrote:Today a local membership record or IOS only shows the latest Aaronic Priesthood ordination, or the first Melchizedek Priesthood ordination (usually elder) and the latest MP ordination if it is different (usually high priest).
This is correct, except the IOS shows all Melchizedek Priesthood ordinations.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”