Region / Language selection

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
tbarron97

Region / Language selection

Post by tbarron97 »

Why is United States not listed as a region?
https://www.lds.org/countries/region?la ... th-america

I switched from English to Portugal / Portuguese so I could copy and paste a scripture to email for my missionary daughter.
Now I want to switch back to United States / English, but strangely that is not an option.
The closest I can get is Canada / English.

I understand the international focus of the church, but let's not forget that there are a few of us in the US still.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Region / Language selection

Post by aebrown »

tbarron97 wrote:Why is United States not listed as a region?
https://www.lds.org/countries/region?la ... th-america

I switched from English to Portugal / Portuguese so I could copy and paste a scripture to email for my missionary daughter.
Now I want to switch back to United States / English, but strangely that is not an option.
The closest I can get is Canada / English.

I understand the international focus of the church, but let's not forget that there are a few of us in the US still.
I agree that it is a bit odd that the US is not a region. But if you want to get back to where you started, you need to choose the Worldwide region.

And note that for many purposes such as what you were doing, you really only need to change the language -- the region doesn't matter.
laurelch

Post by laurelch »

I am having this same issue!

What is the deal? I looked up something in Danish for the same purpose, and now I can't get back to USA English. Only Canada English is an option under the regions.

I must have accidentally picked the country Denmark (as a region) rather than just the language Danish. But there should be an option to switch back to USA, obviously. I have sent a website feedback request, so hopefully they'll fix the bug.

In response to aebrown, you're correct, Canada has the same main home page, so it's not that big of a deal, because we can get to everything we need in English. However, it's irritating to have it there. I am not in Canada, I never need to access the Canadian landing page.... I just want to be able to switch back and forth between the languages I speak, but maintain the USA region. As far as UX goes, the purpose of of that top-right section is to help the user have an experience that is personalized and makes them feel at home and familiar. I do not feel at home when I see a different country there, and I keep wondering if I'm really seeing all of the same information as the US page.

Regardless, it was an oversight by the web team when they coded the page, so they will need to make an update. Hopefully my feedback request makes it through.

Thanks all!
laurelch

Post by laurelch »

In case someone from the web team stumbles upon this, here are some screenshots:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 10.15.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 10.15.37 AM.png (12.03 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 10.55.08 AM.png
(45.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

laurelch wrote:In case someone from the web team stumbles upon this, here are some screenshots:
Select Worldwide - English for the USA. That's what US members default to.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It's a trade-off, but if "Worldwide - English" were renamed to "USA - English" then there wouldn't be anywhere for people living in non-listed regions to go – they'd feel the same discomfort. Worldwide - English is the default catch-all that includes all content. Though I do wish they'd change that hyphen to a dash or something else.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

Why rename it when it's easy enough to ***duplicate it***? I also experienced this problem, and it's FAR from obvious and really frustrating. The fix would be SIMPLE and FAST. Add another link under North America for "USA - English", which takes you to the same place as "Worldwide - English". Keep "Worldwide - English" where it is. Under North America, you could even put: "USA - English (Worldwide - English)" or similar, so people don't freak out when they click "USA - English" and end up with "Worldwide - English" in the upper right corner. It's just that it's more natural for citizens of the US to go to North America to look for their country (you know, cuz it's in North America) and language... :)

Two links to the same page/setting, no one's confused or frustrated. (Please don't anyone tell me this would be hard to maintain - I'm a programmer and I'll reject that assertion.)

FWIW,
Liz

Return to “Main Church Website”