Trying to create a membership record due to missing record and member says they were baptized

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cdk28

Trying to create a membership record due to missing record and member says they were baptized

Post by cdk28 »

We have a member who says they were baptized at the same time as their brother but there is no record of this member and no baptism record. We have the brother's baptism date and membership record but he doesn't remember who performed the ordinance or the name of the ward. (They are youth that were baptized after age 8) We have the date of baptism and confirmation for the brother. The bishopric has asked me to call Salt Lake City to see if they have any record as to the person, ward or mission that performed the baptism so that we can contact them in order to recreate a baptismal record and membership record for his sibling. The bishopric thought the phone number I could call would be in LCR somewhere but I can't find it. If somebody could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
eblood66

Re: Trying to create a membership record due to missing record and member says they were baptized

Post by eblood66 »

The procedure for dealing with an invalid or missing ordinance is listed in Handbook 1 section 16.1.10. If you have two appropriate witnesses as described in that section then you can record the ordinance without contacting the original unit.

The church doesn't keep a record of who performed ordinances but they may have information on which ward they were in when they were baptized. You should contact Local Unit Support to ask about that. Of course, there is no guarantee that anyone in that ward will remember the ordinance but you can try.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Trying to create a membership record due to missing record and member says they were baptized

Post by russellhltn »

Depending on how long ago this was, there might be a record of it being done in the historical department. I don't remember when that was discontinued.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

cdk28 wrote:They are youth that were baptized after age 8
russellhltn wrote:Depending on how long ago this was, there might be a record of it being done in the historical department. I don't remember when that was discontinued.
If they are currently youth then it was definitely too recent for that.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

On the other hand, if they were older than 8, the mission would have been responsible for recording the baptism. It might be worth a contact there to see what records they keep. I would do that while following the guidance in Handbook 1 as a possibility that they may still have some record or recollection of the event.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If they were baptized in a different ward, one thing that comes to mind is to make sure it's not just that the record wasn't transferred in when the brother's record was. You may have already tried to request the record for the member – if not, try and request and see if his or her record exists.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
rabbanah8

Post by rabbanah8 »

I want to apply in online missionary application but I have a problem in my record. I was baptized when I was 8 years old but my record was not encoded so I was baptized again last year. the problem is it is not encoded yet again. How can we work on this problem? I really appreciate your help.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

rabbanah8 wrote:I want to apply in online missionary application but I have a problem in my record. I was baptized when I was 8 years old but my record was not encoded so I was baptized again last year. the problem is it is not encoded yet again. How can we work on this problem? I really appreciate your help.
Work with your ward clerk. He should be able to enter the ordinance or at least contact the mission office if they had to be involved. But I think he should be able to enter it himself.

Return to “Membership Help”