Provo City Center Temple Cultural Celebration Broadcast

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
aslade

Provo City Center Temple Cultural Celebration Broadcast

Post by aslade »

The dedicatory sessions of the Provo City Center Temple will be broadcast to all stakes and districts in Utah. But will the cultural celebration on Saturday 19 Mar 2016 also be broadcasted to all the same stakes? If so, will it be generally available? Or will it have limited/encrypted distribution? Will it be available via webcast for buildings without satellite receivers?

I don't see any broadcast information about the cultural celebration in the 02 Jun 2015 First Presidency letter about the temple open house, dedication, and cultural celebration, nor in the general 2016 satellite broadcast schedule at https://www.lds.org/help/support/meetin ... s?lang=eng.

Does anyone have official word about broadcasting the cultural celebration? Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Provo City Center Temple Cultural Celebration Broadcast

Post by russellhltn »

I can't speak to the Provo City Center Temple, but when our temple was rededicated, they did broadcast the the cultural celebration to the stakes involved. It won't show up in the broadcast schedule as it's not open to all stakes. The fact it's not mentioned in the First Presidency letter is a concern. I'd call satellite support during Utah working hours.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dougj

Post by dougj »

Our stake, which is in the PCC temple district, is anxious to start announcing the cultural celebration broadcast and web stream. We know the cultural celebration will be broadcast via satellite (Saturday March 19, 7:00 PM) and will show it at our stake center. We would also like to get URL for the web stream of the cultural celebration for those who prefer to watch from home. If anyone gets the url for the webstream, please let us know.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dougj wrote:We would also like to get URL for the web stream of the cultural celebration for those who prefer to watch from home.
I seriously doubt any URL would be made available for home viewing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aslade

Post by aslade »

dougj wrote: We know the cultural celebration will be broadcast via satellite (Saturday March 19, 7:00 PM) and will show it at our stake center. We would also like to get URL for the web stream of the cultural celebration for those who prefer to watch from home. If anyone gets the url for the webstream, please let us know.
I received the following in an email from the temple department:

"The cultural celebration will be an open broadcast on the satellite system. There will be a URL sent out to the stake presidents closer to March 19, 2016, that can be distributed to members."

The email did not indicate the details of the intended distribution of the URL. I expect the communication to the Stake Presidents will include more details.
dougj

Post by dougj »

Thanks.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The cultural celebration for the Suva Fiji Temple rededication a week or two ago was broadcast publicly, online, but that may be only because of its cultural importance for Fijian members outside of Fiji. I haven't heard of other cultural celebrations being broadcast publicly online.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
dougj

Post by dougj »

Well, we are hoping it's publicly available. We have several non-member foreign exchange students in our ward who are participating in the cultural celebration. At least one of their families (in the Philippines) has expressed a desire to watch their daughter participating. It would stream live early morning in the Philippines for them. So, we are hoping there's a public URL for this.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If not, I've heard of them providing a DVD of the recording to those who participated. You could look into that.

There may be legal concerns about posting the videos online, especially with minors, that would require release forms to be signed. For example, when photos or videos are donated through Create.LDS.org, everyone who appears recognizably in a photo or video has to sign a release form. I don't know if the youth participating in the cultural celebration (or their parents/guardians) are required to sign release forms, and that may affect whether or not it can be posted/streamed publicly.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
dougj

Post by dougj »

I just googled and found at least three temple celebration videos online at lds.org but they are all from 2010 or 2011.

https://www.lds.org/youth/search?lang=e ... elebration

Return to “Satellite”