Crab Box, Time for a redesign-overhaul. Audio volume issues

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
kreeve

Crab Box, Time for a redesign-overhaul. Audio volume issues

Post by kreeve »

I am having a lot of trouble getting enough volume out of a crab box lately when interfacing computers, tablets, and smartphones. Even with the volume control cranked all the way up.

Once at a building where we were having a YSA lip sync contest (iphone to crab box) . The other at a RS womens conference (computer mac or PC audio out to crab box)
Both cases are different buildings different crab boxes.

I have tried the mini to 1/4"
I have tried my own mini stereo to RCA cable. (This worked the best) Cranked volume all the way to the right, device audio cranked up all the way too. Audio was borderline loud enough. We should be able to get appropriate volume at less than 75% of volume setting.

Anyone else noticing this issue.
In my experience 95%+ of requests are for connecting 1/8 mini devices to the sound system - Laptop, tablet, smartpone, ipod, etc.

Perhaps it is time for a crab box overhaul- new design to meet the needs of the current generation. "-)

What are others finding.

Kevin Reeve
Logan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Crab Box, Time for a redesign-overhaul. Audio volume issues

Post by russellhltn »

What model are you using? The EJ-10 (gray case) is a bit weak and not as clear on the highs. I've seen the same issues trying to use a DVD player - you have to crank the volume all the way up.

The EJ-8 (black case) works great. It's only shortcoming is the lack of a telephone interface that the EJ-10 has.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kreeve

Post by kreeve »

EJ-10 in both instances. Good to know about the EJ-8 though.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Our problem is with the new building sound systems. When you plug the crab box into the microphone input, the main sound system damps it down to whatever was set as the "normal" volume, and it is not loud enough.

In the cultural hall, we have an override control that will usually bring it up loud enough. In the chapel, we go directly from the mini-jack to the RCA audio inputs at the side of the pulpit, bypassing the crab box, and we get full control that way.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Direct boxes are great for matching impedance and attenuating signals from headphone and line level (RCA jacks) sources to the church sound system's microphone jacks in the cultural hall and chapel.

You can purchase one for as little as $10 from eBay vendors (link).

They also have a selector switch for 3 gain settings - in case you do not get enough volume out of the building sound system.
jirp

Post by jirp »

Are you setting building volume to max too? Our aux input in the chapel has it own volume control as well master control over all sound levels. In the cultural hall going to manual mode and using the Aux input there works too while keeping mic levels good for the main inputs.
kreeve

Post by kreeve »

Unfortunately the chapel has no aux input volume control. The only audio volume is the main control at the pulpit control, and satellite audio volume.

My answer was to purchase a Rolls audio interface that has both RCA and 1/8 mini stereo inputs and a XLR mic level output and it works great.
RichPhillips

Post by RichPhillips »

KREEVE:

Will you post info on the device you bought please. I have the same problem when I hook up the headphone out from a laptop for a webcast. Set volume on laptop, crab box and at pedestal and volume still too low. My only interface in the chapel is xlr.

Thanks
svreed

Post by svreed »

I gound the crab to be overly cumbersome and replaced them with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M ... UTF8&psc=1

It works great.
RichPhillips

Post by RichPhillips »

Thanks for posting a response. I ended up buying the following which has an XLR interface and works really well as a crab box replacement. It does not have a telephone interface.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-7677

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”