Obtaining current ward information for a member without requesting the records themselves

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tugglet

Obtaining current ward information for a member without requesting the records themselves

Post by tugglet »

I apologize if there is an obvious way to do this but I am simply unfamiliar with it.

Sometimes I will receive calls from individuals who are (or claim to be) members of the Church who are traveling and have become stranded. I try to find out who their current Bishop is in order to discuss the situation with that Bishop. However, sometimes the individual is unable to recall their ward information or Bishop's name. I then ask for their full name and birthdate in order to verify membership. Here is my question, is there a way to see what ward an individual currently resides in WITHOUT actually requesting their records? I know if I request the records I can see who their prior Bishop was, but as they fully intend on leaving, they are not actually moving into my ward. Any thoughts on that?
eblood66

Re: Obtaining current ward information for a member without requesting the records themselves

Post by eblood66 »

With LCR you can verify their membership by going through the process to request their records but without actually completing the final step. Once you know the records are available to request you know they are members. But it won't tell you who their bishop is. However, you could use the meetinghouse locator (https://maps.lds.org) to lookup their address and find the ward they are assigned to and the bishops name.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Obtaining current ward information for a member without requesting the records themselves

Post by lajackson »

In the old days we would call Local Unit Support. They would verify membership and give you the contact information for the bishop.

Return to “Membership Help”