Creating new units based on language / culture

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
gwclark

Creating new units based on language / culture

Post by gwclark »

Our stake is planning to create a Samoan branch. I don't see alot in the helps about creaing new units based on language and culture. This would not require the creation of new boundaries for stake units nor is the request for new unit form applicable in many of the fields. I would like some guidance on how to proceed. Gary, Stake Clerk
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Creating new units based on language / culture

Post by sbradshaw »

I don't know much of the technical details of how a branch is created, but some experience from my mission may be helpful as you consider whether or not to proceed. One of my areas (in Arizona) had three stakes, and each stake had a Spanish branch. At a certain point two of the branches were consolidated into one bigger branch (spanning two stakes) and the third branch was dissolved completely.

I don't know if the direction came from area seventies, or just a decision by the stake presidencies, but what they told us was that foreign-language branches exist for the language, not the culture. Almost all of the members in the branch that was dissolved, and a few of the members in the branch that was combined, were able to get along well enough in English. It was difficult for many of the members, but they were told to go back and support the English wards in their areas.

What I took from that experience is that language branches are to meet the needs of those who would not be able to have their spiritual needs met in English. They are not for commonality of culture. Again, I don't know if this is general church policy, or local decision, but it made sense to me.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

See Handbook 1, 9.1.5 and 9.1.2.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:What I took from that experience is that language branches are to meet the needs of those who would not be able to have their spiritual needs met in English. They are not for commonality of culture.
That's my understanding as well. That's one of the complaints against language wards is that they become "culture" wards and cause members to segregate instead of integrating.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
FTuioti

Post by FTuioti »

What metrics do you use to measure the spiritual needs of an individual? I've asked my Bishop and Stake presidency this question; "Is there any works in getting a Samoan Stake here in California?".
I understand both languages very well but I feel the Spirit stronger when I hear it in my native language(Samoan).
This is the true Church of Christ and I recently converted freely due to the spiritual invite and nurturing of the persistent missionaries that walked by my resident many many years ago.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I don't think there is anyone on the forum who can provide an answer to your question - at least not to your satisfaction. Your Bishop and Stake President are the Lord's authorized representatives in your area. They would be the ones authorized to address the spiritual needs of the members in your Stake.

This forum is full of a lot of helpful people, but none of us have the authority to answer a question regarding setting up a separate Stake based on language and/or cultural needs.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

In our local area, we have both a Spanish branch and a Hmong branch. The Stake President is the one who arranged setting them up. I have not been involved in either so cannot comment on that process.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Looking Handbook 1, I don't see any procedure for creating a language stake. Wards and branches, yes. But not stakes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”