Ward Map

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
1968leocomeeatabite

Ward Map

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

I got up this morning and noticed that there is an additional application under the previous five under "My Ward". Previous five applications were Directory, Calendar, Donations, Lesson Schedules and Newsletter. The new application is "Ward Map". Now there are 6 total applications under My Ward. I assume that this has come from the Beta LDS.org Maps? How great! I noticed that you can take a quick tour and that the "?" contains "help". So maybe we should start another thread. Or add another Sub-forum under LDS.org? Been looking forward to it. I have not used the beta, but will start using this "Ward Map" and begin promoting it in our ward. I suspect I and others will have question. :)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Ward Map

Post by aebrown »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:So maybe we should start another thread.
You just did (although note that the actual term here for this forum software is "topic", which means the same thing as "thread" in most forums). So the new map can be discussed here, or people are welcome to start new topics here in the Maps subforum on various aspects of maps.
1968leocomeeatabite wrote:Or add another Sub-forum under LDS.org?
The existing Maps subforum where you posted this works just fine for all Maps issues, whether they come from the "My Ward Map" feature or the "Meetinghouse Locator" feature -- it's all the same mapping technology.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

The ward map function of the maps application isn't exactly new. It's been around for a long time. What's new is a separate link to the ward map part and and an update that changed some of the graphics and added a few features (mostly about showing additional information about households that previously you had to go to the Directory to find). But it's nice that they are promoting the ward map part now rather than just the meetinghouse locator.
dlpyro1957

Post by dlpyro1957 »

Why is it every time that you do an upgrade on the ward maps you take more things away. What i'm referring to is the filters. the lasted thing to go is like EP info. and things like that.
It would be great if you would add the filters back. I would love to see you change Geo Code to EP Zone. Have them post in the members info. Also the list that you can make in LDS tools for be nice to carry over to maps.
Would love to talk with who ever has the lead on this.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

dlpyro1957 wrote:What i'm referring to is the filters. the lasted thing to go is like EP info. and things like that. It would be great if you would add the filters back.
What filters are you thinking of? The new tool has filters for Unmapped, Unverified and Verified and name based filters. I don't remember any other filters in the last version.
dlpyro1957 wrote:Would love to talk with who ever has the lead on this.
As far as I know, no one who works on maps frequents the forums. Most of us on the forums are just users too.

Besides, the developers do not decide on product features. Those decisions are made by the general authorities in the department which sponsors the application. The official (and really only) avenue to suggest features is to use the Feedback link on any lds.org page.
dlpyro1957

Post by dlpyro1957 »

As a clerk there were filters that were part of each household You would click on the map for that household. click edit. there were 2 filters one was EP and with in that I could add notes like Ham Radio or Zone Leader. and 2nd filter had special needs. once that info was added. you could go to the search line and type in Ham. and it would show members that were ham, on Zone leader, or members with special needs. it was not the best but it was better then nothing.
Love the new (List) in Tools. you can click and see all of the people in you list will show up on the map. it would be nice if that crossed over to online maps. and it would be great for a clerk to be able to make a list and push it to leadership.
TullisDA

Post by TullisDA »

The problem is that Maps is a world-wide application. Because of that, there are privacy laws and policies that the Church has to comply with. Adding information to a database may, in some areas of the world, be illegal.

Instructions were sent to units that have the Emergency Response and Special Needs household categories instructing them that they may download a csv file and import the file into a spreadsheet application, then create the list as a custom list in LDS Tools. LDS Tools custom lists are only stored on your own device and not on a Church server. The message also said custom lists in Directory and Ward Map are planned in the future.

The message also suggests that if you want to preserve the information, download it as soon as possible because the categories will be disabled in about 2 weeks.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”